Medical Laboratory Technologist –PaLM Transfusion Medicine
London Health Sciences Centre
London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) is a world-class academic health sciences centre located in the southwestern Ontario city of London. Just two hours from Toronto and two hours from Detroit, London features a beautiful and walkable downtown core located on the Thames River, a vibrant culinary scene and scores of activities that highlight local arts, culture and music. As one of Canada’s largest hospitals, LHSC is a world-class innovator in clinical care, research and teaching, delivering both local and regional services, including the Children’s Hospital, within a large geographic area. LHSC has a workforce of close to 15,000, dedicated to delivering the highest quality patient care while working together to shape the future of health. Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PaLM) is a joint venture of LHSC and St. Joseph’s Health Care London committed to providing a comprehensive range of routine and specialized testing and clinical consultation to patients within Southwestern Ontario and beyond. Our flagship programs, with over 700 staff and faculty across 30+ ISO15189/AC Diagnostics accredited labs, serve Canadian and international partners with world-renowned research, innovation, teaching and clinical service. We believe laboratory diagnostics is the cornerstone of the patient journey, with the potential to transform our health system, and we are strengthening our laboratory team to rise to this bold vision.
As a member of PaLM, the Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) works under the supervision of the Manager for the Transfusion Medicine Laboratory in coordination with the Senior Medical Laboratory Technologists. As an acute care teaching facility, the Transfusion Medicine Laboratory provides an opportunity for MLTs to expand their knowledge and skills in an environment that promotes staff wellness and fairness. MLTs in the Transfusion Medicine laboratory are responsible for blood grouping, antibody screening, antibody identification, blood component preparation, bone marrow and stem cell processing, tissue banking and some special projects.
Staff will be assigned to London Health Sciences Centre (University Hospital, Victoria Hospital) as required.
Certification with C.S.M.L.S. or equivalent
• Current registration or eligible as a Medical Laboratory Technologist with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario with authorization to practice relevant specialties in Laboratory Medicine
• Recent experience in Blood Transfusion Medicine
• Demonstrated knowledge of blood transfusion and hematology
• Ability to work 24/7 shifts
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated accuracy, organizational skills
• Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate, develop and maintain effective relationships within healthcare teams
• Demonstrated computer proficiency
• Demonstrated practice and commitment to the principles of patient and family centered care
• Demonstrated practice and commitment to patient and staff safety at LHSC
• Demonstrated practice and commitment to LHSC’s Mission, Vision and Values
• Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
• Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B, Tetanus/ Diphtheria/Polio; Meningitis.
• Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing (two step)
• Completed COVID vaccine series (two vaccines).
Full Time-37.5 Hours
$33.32 per hour - $44.66 per hour
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. LHSC is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2+ persons. We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities and standards of goods and services, and are also fully compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), as applicable.
As part of the assessment process applicants may be required to complete a written examination or test. Please be advised that a reference check may be conducted as part of the selection process.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory police information check (original document) completed in the last 3 months. To apply please visit our website: www.lhsc.on.ca/careers/careers
Job Posting Link