MLT – 2 Part time Registered Technologist
Sault Area Hospital
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is located on the St. Mary’s River between Lake Huron and Lake Superior on the U.S. /Canadian border. The Sault has all the amenities of a regional urban centre, with both the Canadian wilderness and extraordinary vacation areas in northern Ontario and Michigan just minutes away. There is a strong cultural and arts basis in the community, and both winter and summer outdoor activities abound. The Sault has an excellent school system and offers a multitude of sports and artistic opportunities for children and adults alike. Sault Ste. Marie is served by three Canadian airlines as well as one major U.S. airline.Sault Area Hospital (SAH) is a new state-of-the-art facility recently opened in 2011. With approval for 291 inpatient beds and 14 Intensivist led ICU beds, SAH provides emergency, primary, secondary, selected tertiary and long-term care healthcare services to the city and the District of Algoma with a catchment population of approximately 115,000. Programs include the Algoma District Cancer Program and a Regional Renal Program.The Sault Area Hospital Laboratory Medicine Program services include medical biochemistry, hematopathology, transfusion services, medical microbiology, cytology, and surgical pathology. We seek to recruit General and/or Anatomical Pathologist(s) to fill our complement of four (4) fully-funded LMFFA Pathologist positions. Service duties will be predominately surgical pathology, cytopathology, and involvement in departmental activities. Announced in May 2015, Sault Area Hospital now operates a Regional Forensic Pathology Unit. It is only one of seven currently operating in the province. Participation in medicolegal autopsy service is an option.
Sault Ste Marie
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform laboratory procedures as indicated in department manuals, following Hospital and Laboratory Policies.
2. Work in one or more laboratory subsections, i.e. Transfusion Services, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Histology and Hematology.
3. Remain current in laboratory medicine and participate in available continuing education programs as required by the CMLTO or any other applicable regulatory bodies.
4. Communicate with Patient Care Providers on laboratory matters and exercise independent judgment in specimen procurement, specimen analysis, reporting and interpretation of findings.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Staffing and Licensing Requirements:
• Has obtained from a university approved by the Director a bachelor’s degree with a relevant chemical, physical or biological science as a major subject and has been employed for a minimum of one year as a laboratory technician in a laboratory approved by the Director
• Is recognized as a technologist by a technologist society in Canada (CMLTO, CSMLS), MLPAO, Great Britain (HCPC) or the United States (ASCP, NCA), whose courses of study are approved by the Director.
• Has obtained a diploma as a laboratory technologist from an Ontario Community College
• Has education or experience or both that is approved by the Director as equivalent to the standards prescribed in clause (a), (b) or (c). R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 682, s. 6 (3).
• Minimum acceptable experience in a training program approved by CSMLS, which includes a one-year clinical training.
• One (1) year related work experience in a laboratory setting
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
1. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
2. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
3. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
4. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
5. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
6. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
7. Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
8. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
9. Knowledge of and participation in Quality Control procedures and Quality Assurance Programs.
10. Knowledge of laboratory equipment maintenance and operation required.
11. Knowledge of sterile tissue culture conditions as required by assigned area.
12. Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
shift work , days, evening, night, weekend and holidays
32.43-43.36 per hour
Sault Area Hospital
Sault Area Hospital
750 Great Northern Road
705-759-3434 ext 2463