Nurse Practitioner – Cardiology
Women's College Hospital
Women's College Hospital (WCH) is an academic, ambulatory care hospital in Ontario with a focus on health for women, health equity and health system solutions. If you're ready to be part of a team that is revolutionizing the future of healthcare, then you will want to join an institution where the possibilities for innovation, new discovery and system thinking are limitless. Women's College Hospital is committed to equity, quality and patient safety as key professional values and essential components of daily practice.With the mobilization of our 2018-2022 Strategic Plan, WCH has entered an exciting phase of its history – strengthening its bond with partners and introducing a new and inspiring vision: Healthcare revolutionized for a healthier and more equitable world.FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health, Safety & Wellness department. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
The Cardiac Program at Women’s College Hospital consist of clinics, cardiac testing and cardiac rehabilitation.
Our Women’s Cardiovascular Health Initiative, Canada’s first cardiac rehabilitation program designed for people identifying as women, operates both on-site exercise and virtually, and provides education designed to enhance self-management of cardiac disease.
The Vision of the Department of Cardiology:
Fully become a living laboratory for ambulatory and virtual cardiology that drives patient health through innovative primary and secondary prevention, rehab and comprehensive complex care.
The Nurse Practitioner in the Cardiology program will support this vision by providing comprehensive, evidence based care for patients with complex cardiac needs within our Dysautonomia/ Complex Hypertension Clinic and Cardiac Rehab Program both in-person and virtually.
• Works collaboratively with nursing colleagues, physicians, health disciplines patient/family to provide integrative patient- focused care for patients in the Cardiac Program.
• Will provide assessment, plan of care in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team in the
• Dysautonomia/Complex Hypertension and Cardiac Rehab services
• Establishes a caring and therapeutic relationship with patients; demonstrates trust, respect, and honesty
• Advocates for patients by mobilizing resources and identifying and addressing gaps in service to meet supportive care needs of patients
• Use ongoing evaluation of needs assessment to develop/initiate/modify the health care plan.
• Determine and implement required diagnostic testing and initiate (adjust and/or discontinue) pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies as defined by medical directives and listed by the College of Nurses of Ontario RN(EC).
• Maintain leading edge nursing knowledge based on clinical research and literature review; contributes to nursing knowledge base through active participation in quality-of-care initiatives
• Collaborates on the development of program metrics to improve client, organization and system outcomes.
• Reviews data for program evaluation and makes recommendations for quality improvement.
• Takes a leadership role in the implementation and evaluation of quality improvement projects
• Acts as a change agent by advocating for and implementing new initiatives.
• Supports the strategic direction of the hospital and the strategic plan of nursing by being actively involved in hospital program committees
As a role model and champion, you will work to identify and integrate safe, best practices into daily activities to foster the delivery of safe and exemplary care.
The responsibilities described above are representative and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
• Current registration with the College of Nurses in the Extended Class
• Master's Degree in Nursing
• Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a NP in acute care cardiac inpatient setting mandatory
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an NP with management of patients with complex hypertension conditions is preferred
• Exposure to Cardiac Rehab care management preferred
• Has had experience in development and implementing quality improvement initiatives
• Current Basic Life Support certification and ACLS
• Formal training or experience in quality improvement work is an asset
• Demonstrates clinical leadership skills
• Excellent computer skills, specifically with Electronic Patient Records and the Microsoft Office Suite
• Must have excellent organizational, assessment, communication, counseling, and teaching skills
• Strong analytical abilities with knowledge and skill in critical thinking and decision-making
• Works effectively as a strong team player and able to work independently
• Ability to demonstrate empathy while remaining professional and respectful
• Demonstrated commitment to continuing education, professional growth and maintenance of clinical competency is required
• Demonstrated knowledge and skill in critical thinking and decision -making
• Professional behavior and communication that meets the standards of the College of Nurses and the standards of Women’s College Hospital.
• This position plays a critical role in acting as an advocate for safety and will demonstrate principles, practices and processes that will optimize a safe environment for all.
Job Posting Link
Women's College Hospitalwebsite