Nurse Practitioner – Endocrinology
Women's College Hospital
Women's College Hospital (WCH) is an academic, ambulatory care hospital in Ontario with a focus on health for women, health equity and health system solutions. If you're ready to be part of a team that is revolutionizing the future of healthcare, then you will want to join an institution where the possibilities for innovation, new discovery and system thinking are limitless. Women's College Hospital is committed to equity, quality and patient safety as key professional values and essential components of daily practice.With the mobilization of our 2018-2022 Strategic Plan, WCH has entered an exciting phase of its history – strengthening its bond with partners and introducing a new and inspiring vision: Healthcare revolutionized for a healthier and more equitable world.FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health, Safety & Wellness department. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
An exciting Temporary Full-Time (1 year contract) position as a Nurse Practitioner exists in Endocrinology!
Summary of duties, but not limited to:
• Proactively coordinates care delivery and supports patients with Type 1 and complex Type 2 diabetes and their families, collaboratively with the endocrinology physicians and the diabetes care team.
• Proactively coordinates care delivery and supports endocrinology obstetrical patients and their families in collaboration with the diabetes care team
• Acts as primary source of contact for patients and families/support person
• Responsible for the initial assessment of patients’ physical, social, and psychological needs; counsels, and educates patients
• Offers support and education to patients and their family/supports during initial consultation and follow up care.
• Supports by cross covering the Young Adult Diabetes clinic during absences
• Advocates for patients by mobilizing resources and identifying and addressing gaps in service to meet supportive care needs of patients
• Liaises with community agencies/social supports to ensure patients in community are receiving appropriate care and follow up; intervenes to address concerns when required
• Ensures continuity of care as patients transition across the continuum through appropriate discharge planning, patient education, and coordination of services to access community support and resources
• Assists with downloading information from pumps and glucose monitoring devices and performs point of care testing as needed.
• Assists with completion of Ministry of Health forms (ex. transportation, assistive devices program, etc.)
• Provides telephone nursing practice as part of role; ensures patients have nurse’s contact information facilitating patient calls with questions or concerns regarding their care
• Develops/revises patient teaching guides and other materials to support patients and their social supports
• Participates as an integral member of the Diabetes program, within the Endocrinology Program.
• Leads the development and evaluation of policies, standards of care, and clinical services in relation to the assessment and management of patients and families
• Collaborates on the development of program metrics to improve patient, organization and system outcomes
• Reviews data for program evaluation and makes recommendations for quality improvement
• Takes a leadership role in the implementation and evaluation of quality improvement projects
• In collaboration with the Education department and the Endocrinology program participates in teaching
• In collaboration with Professional Practice and Research departments initiates and participates in interdisciplinary education
• Participates in clinical research and integrates research into practice to ensure best practice standards are maintained
As a role model and champion you will work to identify and integrate safe, best practices into daily activities to foster the delivery of safe and exemplary care.
The responsibilities described above are representative and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
• Master’s degree in Nursing Science is required
• Nurse practitioner: Adult or Primary Health Care
• Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Extended Class is required
• 5 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse in a health care setting
• Nurse Practitioner experience, preferred
• Previous nursing experience in diabetes education, previous experience as a NP in a diabetes education setting, preferred
• Familiarity or some experience with Type 1 diabetes preferred
• Certification in insulin pump training preferred.
• Certification or evidence of pursuing certification as a “Certified Diabetes Educator” from the Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board is an asset
• Current Basic Life Support certification
• Demonstrated clinical leadership and strong analytical abilities with knowledge and skill in critical thinking and decision-making
• Experience providing telephone nursing practice
• Excellent computer skills, specifically with Electronic Medical Records and the Microsoft Office Suite
• Must have excellent organizational, assessment, communication, counseling, and teaching skills
• Works effectively as a strong team player and able to work independently
• Ability to demonstrate empathy while remaining professional and respectful
• Demonstrated commitment to continuing education, professional growth and maintenance of clinical competency is required
• Demonstrated record of good performance and acceptable attendance will be considered as part of the selection criteria
• Professional behaviour and communication that meets the standards of the professional regulatory college or association, as applicable, and the standards of Women’s College Hospital
• This position plays a critical role in acting as an advocate for safety and will demonstrate principles, practices and processes that will optimize a safe environment for all
75 Hours Bi-Weekly
76 Grenville Street
Job Posting Link