Operations Leader, Diagnostic Labs Hematology
St. Michael's Hospital
St. Michael’s Hospital is a Catholic teaching and research hospital founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1892 to care for the sick and poor of Toronto's inner city. Affectionately known as the Urban Angel, St. Michael’s is renowned for providing exceptional patient care. As downtown Toronto’s adult trauma centre, the hospital is a hub for neurosurgery, complex cardiac and cardiovascular care, diabetes and osteoporosis care, minimally invasive surgery and care of the homeless and disadvantaged. St. Michael’s is also one of the province’s major sites of care for critically ill patients.Fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, St. Michael’s provides outstanding medical education to health-care professionals in 29 academic disciplines. Home to the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, made up of the Keenan Research Centre and the Li Ka Shing International Healthcare Education Centre, the hospital is among the first in the world to bring together researchers, educators and clinicians to take best practices and research discoveries to patient bedsides faster.St. Michael’s Hospital with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre now operate under one corporate entity as of August 1, 2017. United, the three organizations serve patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education.
• Providing day-to-day operational direction and clinical expertise to the laboratory division of Haematology.
• Working collaboratively with medical Heads for efficient day-to-day operations.
• Assisting the Manager in achieving and maintaining a cost efficient laboratory operation.
• Responsible for quality management activities, continuous improvement and indicator development.
• Monitoring supplies and ordering as required.
• Providing technical expertise and knowledge to staff and to internal and external clients.
• Scheduling of staff and related functions such as; ensuring that staffing is maintained at efficient and optimal levels.
• Collecting data, preparing, and submitting statistical reports monitoring outcomes against operational goals.
• Managing operational issues arising and facilitating problem-solving and/or dispute resolution.
• Troubleshooting equipment/procedure problems.
• Performing specialized benchwork when short-staffed or as required.
• Implementing and ensuring compliance with the Ontario Laboratory Accreditation (OLA) standards, proficiency testing, and other accrediting bodies.
• Organizing and facilitating regular staff meetings.
• Supervising and coaching staff and problem-solving issues.
• Qualified as a medical laboratory technologist with current registration with C.M.L.T.O. in the relevant discipline
• A.R.T. certification with C.S.M.L.S. or bachelor’s degree preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant laboratory experience
• Proficiency and expertise in the specialty area
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire team work
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Good time management skills
• Experience with quality management system, teaching and research
• Competent in problem-solving and decision-making
• Ability to prioritize the operation’s workload
37.5 hours per week
$40.10 - $47.89 per hour
In order to be considered for this position, applications must be submitted directly on the Career Opportunities section of the St. Michael’s Hospital website at www.stmichaelshospital.com.