Health Sciences North
Health Sciences North (HSN) is a new approach to delivering the highest quality patient care, research, teaching and learning to our region and beyond. It is a network of integrated facilities and programs working together for the benefit of our patients, communities, physicians, researchers, staff and learners in the areas of prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care.HSN offers a variety of programs and services that meet many patient care needs, with leading regional programs in the areas of cardiac care, oncology, nephrology, trauma and rehabilitation.
Perform technical duties involved in the maintenance and operation of cardiovascular perfusion and related equipment for a variety of surgical and therapeutic procedures.
Under the general direction of the Coordinator, Perfusion.
1. Ensure the safe and efficient performance of the heart-lung machine and related equipment, including cell savers, Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps (IABP), Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD), and Right Ventricular Assist Devices (RVAD).
2. Prepare and operate the heart-lung machine and other related equipment used for open heart operations or vascular cases.
3. Assist in the implantation and programming of permanent pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICD).
4. Execute physiological measurements and monitor physiological responses during surgery; perform other related procedures in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures.
5. Maintain the patient's physiologic parameters during Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB).
6. Collect, interpret, record, and report clinical data electronically.
7. Transport patients on extracorporeal devices as required.
8. Assist with the insertion, maintenance, and transfer of patients with IABP, and ensure ECMO, LVAD, and RVAD remain available until patient is stable in Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
9. Assess, evaluate, and revise cardiovascular perfusion standards according to evidence-based practice.
10. Develop and maintain resources and reference materials in relation to current practice.
11. Provide expert perfusion consultation to patients and their families.
12. Work collaboratively with members of the health care team to achieve excellence in patient care.
13. Participate in the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) program.
14. Participate in the daily organization and preparation of patient care plans and departmental workflow.
15. Provide instructions to perfusion students and general orientation to Nursing and Respiratory staff, Residents, and other health care personnel on the basics of Cardiac Surgery, including the use of bypass and other relevant equipment.
16. Participate in an on-call rotation.
17. Identify cardiovascular perfusion research opportunities by questioning current practices.
18. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
19. Evaluate patient care and satisfaction on an ongoing basis and formulate solutions for improvement.
20. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN True North; monitor and adjust to achieve goal outcomes.
21. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
22. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
23. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a four (4) year Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university.
2. Graduate from an accredited Cardiovascular Perfusion program is required.
3. Current Certificate of Registration with the Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion (CSCP) or eligible for certification.
4. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is required.
1. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a Perfusion department.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of theory and practice procedures, instruments, equipment, and special techniques.
2. Demonstrated ability to make critical and independent decisions with appropriate responses.
3. Demonstrated ability to function with confidence in stressful situations.
4. Demonstrated superior problem recognition and problem-solving skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
6. Demonstrated training, experience or utilization of lean methodology for process improvement.
7. Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and continue improvement.
8. Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software, (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook) and patient information systems.
9. Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
10. Effective time management and organizational skills with the ability to organize and prioritize as required.
11. Demonstrated discretion and maturity when handling confidential information.
12. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
1. Demonstrated commitment to continuous quality improvement.
2. Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
3. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
4. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
5. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
6. Demonstrated positive work record and excellent attendance record.
7. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
8. Ability to travel between local sites.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position on the basis of their skill, ability, experience and relevant qualifications as identified in the resume and completed Application Form submitted. Where these factors are relatively equal, seniority shall govern. HSN reserves the right to conduct a formal interview/testing process where required, which may include (but not limited to), a written or practical examination or both to determine skill and ability.
Shift: Days and Evenings
French Language Service Designation: Bilingualism is an Asset
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600 hours on May 2, 2018. Please apply through the HSN Career portal at hsnsudbury.ca/careers.
HSN THANKS ALL APPLICANTS.
ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS AFTER THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
41 Ramsey Lake Rd, Sudbury