Pulmonary Function Technologist – Permanent Part-Time
Mackenzie Health’s two hospitals – Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital – each have a full-service emergency department, core services and specialized services to provide you with the care you need. Our Woman and Child, Inpatient Mental Health and Inpatient Integrated Stroke programs are available to the community at Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital. An extensive range of outpatient clinics, chronic kidney disease care, complex continuing care and rehabilitation are available at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital. Our community-based locations and services continue to provide additional support to western York Region.
As part of the interprofessional care team, the Pulmonary Function Technologist plays an essential role in providing quality patient and family centered care. The Technologist is responsible for working in a team environment to perform various pulmonary function tests in an accurate, efficient and professional manner.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
• Performs comprehensive Pulmonary Function tests including flow volume loops, helium dilution, diffusing capacity, body plethysmography, Exercise Testing, Methacholine Challenge Test and arterial blood gases
• Explains specified methods of breathing to patient and conducts oxygen assessments such as IEA, 6 minute walk, vital capacity, shunt and hast testing, using spirometer or other equipment.
• Measures expired air, using various analyzers.
• Observes and records readings on metering devices of analysis equipment, producing accurate and timely study reports to physician for interpretation.
• Maintains accepted professional and laboratory standards as per ATS guidelines
• Calibrate, clean and maintain diagnostic equipment and recognize when equipment malfunctions.
• Document and maintain accurate patient records and observations
• Under the supervision of the Registered Respiratory Therapist, assist in quality assurance audits
What must you have?
• Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (member in good standing of the Canadian Association of Cardiopulmonary Technologists)
• Current registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario as a Registered Respiratory Therapist or eligible to be hired as a Graduate Respiratory Therapist until successful completion of registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario as a Registered Respiratory Therapist within six (6) months from date of hire.
• Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
What else do you bring?
• Strong technical skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to adjust language to suit the individual/family/group.
• Able to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible
• Able to work both collaboratively and autonomously within an interdisciplinary team.
• Proven attendance record.
• Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
• Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
• Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring and values – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
• Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
• Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Pulmonary Function Technologist, preferred.
*This position is represented by OPSEU
Evenings & Weekends; 7.5 Hour Shifts
$30.39 - $34.99
10 Trench Street
Job Posting Link