REGISTERED MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGISTS
North Bay Regional Health Centre
The North Bay Regional Health Centre (NBRHC) is a unique health care organization with three primary roles. It provides acute care services to North Bay and its surrounding communities, is a district referral centre providing specialist services for smaller communities in the area; and is specialized mental health service provider for the Northeast Region of Ontario which spans from Muskoka area to the Hudson Bay, and from the Quebec border to Sault Ste Marie. NBRHC has 409 beds and numerous outpatient and outreach services and is one of four major acute care hospitals in the Region. The others being Health Sciences North in Sudbury, Sault Area Hospital in Sault Ste Marie; and Timmins District Hospital in Timmins. The immediate area surrounding North Bay is also served by small community hospitals like Mattawa and West Nipissing General Hospitals.A major teaching centre for students in medicine, psychiatry, nursing and allied health professions, NBRHC is proud to not only be affiliated with NOSM, but also Nipissing University, Canadore College and other Ontario colleges and universities. NBRHC chairs the development of an affiliation with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine to better address the unique needs of the north, overcome barriers that impact health care and ensure the transfer of knowledge into innovative evidence based care solutions.
As an integral member of the Laboratory team, the Medical Laboratory Technologist responsibilities include: performing laboratory procedures for all licensed disciplines and functions and ensuring the completion of assigned workload; operating, troubleshooting and maintaining of laboratory equipment and work area; preparing written and electronic reports required to document procedures and test results; participating in teaching, educational, safety and quality improvement programs; observing and understanding Hospital and departmental policies and procedures; adhering to Hospital and departmental mission and value statements while maintaining patient confidentiality; performing cross-functional duties, as assigned, or requested; performing other
duties related to and consistent with the job classification, as required.
POSITION: ONE (1) PERMANENT FULL TIME REGISTERED MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (CYTOLOGY/HISTOLOGY)
• Graduate from a recognized Diagnostic Cytotechnologist program and certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
• Must be a member in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) authorized to practice in both Cytology and Histology
• Recent relevant experience within the last 3 years
• Effective time management and strong organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the health team
• Ability to work independently, quickly and accurately under stressful conditions with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated conflict resolution, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Physical ability to carry out the duty of the position
• Demonstrated commitment to professional development
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous quality improvement
• Knowledge of Meditech is an asset
• Good attendance and work performance record
• Must support and contribute to a culture of safety and prevention of adverse health events in this organization
• Bilingualism (English/French) an asset
50 College Dr.
705 474 8600