Registered Nurse – DECNET – Diabetes Nurse Educator (Full-Time, Regular)
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
The Diabetes Education Community Network (DECNET) is a partnership among South Riverdale Community Health Centre, East End Community Health Centre, Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services, and Michael Garron Hospital. Working within the context of community health principles and practices, DECNET provides diabetes education support and services to adults with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes in East Toronto. Particular emphasis is placed on increasing access for mental health, hard to reach, complex, and marginalized populations and members of our community.
This position functions both independently and as a member of the DECNET team, providing diabetes care and self-management education to DECNET clients within a community health/health promotion framework.
This position is expected to work onsite.
Direct Client Care
• follows own patients, ensuring high quality care
• Provides 1:1 and group diabetes care and education
• Functions as a member of an interdisciplinary team
• Conducts comprehensive health assessments of adults with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes. Assessments include a psychological and clinical component
• Performs telephone service when necessary, which may include intake, referral, health care advice, anticipatory guidance, and support for reception
• Provides supportive and lifestyle counselling
• Makes home visits to clients as necessary
• Makes internal referrals to other DECNET and SRCHC staff as appropriate
• Refers clients to specialist, hospital or community resources as appropriate
• Participates in case conferences with other providers – both internal and external – to ensure coordination of services to the client
• Ensures that standards of client care are maintained according to accepted College of Nurses standards, the Regulated Health Professions Act, and the policies of SRCHC
• Performs necessary back-up functions for other nursing staff in their absence
• Completes documentation as required
Health Promotion and Education
• Integrates health promotion principles into each interaction with individuals, families or groups
• Participates in community projects or agency activities as a representative of the Health Centre and DECNET program as directed
• Assists and works with community groups in the development of community outreach programs as directed
• Participates in the development of and gives support to policies/strategies which are in the interest of public health and which support the recognition of the determinants of health
• Incorporates health care advances into practice and adjusts practice to the changing demographics and evolving needs of the community
• Makes health and program information accessible to clients through posters, pamphlets and community publications
• Educates, counsels and teaches individuals/families about various self-management issues such as blood glucose monitoring, physical activity, medication management/insulin self-adjustment, foot care, stress and emotions, etc.
• Collaborates within own team and other teams across the organization to identify and provide health education to target groups
• Maintains complete and accurate records sufficient for timely communication with other professionals
• Provides statistical information as required
• Participates in all relevant SRCHC programs, activities, meetings, professional associations, and workshops as required
• Participates in the development of policies and procedures as required
• Participates in planning and evaluation of DECNET programs and activities and SRCHC program reviews as required
• Contributes to the DECNET team’s use of research methodologies and findings in clinical practice and to monitoring and evaluation
• Maintains necessary supplies of education and clinical tools (ie. Glucometers, insulin pens)
• Works professionally, collaboratively and respectfully with colleagues
• Performs other related duties as required
• BSC in Nursing from a recognized university
• Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and certificate of continuing competence
• Advanced nursing footcare certificate considered an asset
• Certified Diabetes Educator certification considered an asset
• Thorough current nursing knowledge and proficiency in conducting a comprehensive health history, physical assessment and construction of a nursing management plan
• 3-5 years’ experience in a community setting or a combination of community experience and relevant hospital or public health nursing
• Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
• Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity, anti-racism and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based care
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, so as to ensure an effective and efficient working environment
• Fluency in a language relevant to the Riverdale Community in addition to English is an asset
• Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
• Proof of triple COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
SALARY RANGE: $65,362 - $76, 897; Includes Health Benefits and HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan)
The deadline for applicants is Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. (noon).
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee - RN - DECNET (Full-Time, Regular)
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “RN – DECNET (Full-Time, Regular)” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages applicants who are racialized (IBPOC) and/or applicants who face any barriers as a result of systemic discrimination to apply for this position.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.
955 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Job Posting Link