Registered Respiratory Therapist – Pediatric Intensive Care
Hamilton Health Sciences
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research - ranked fourth in Canada- and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at McMaster Children’s Hospital (MCH) is a robust department, comprised of 12 level 3 critical care beds, and 4 level 2 step down beds, a Pediatric Critical Care Response team (PACE) and a newly formed Pediatric Critical Care Transport Team, all which provide medical and surgical care to children and their families across southern Ontario. The interdisciplinary team provides family centered care with a strong focus on evidence based best practice and continuous improvement initiatives. The unit provides specialized care to complex, surgical, oncologic, orthopedic, trauma and medical pediatric patient populations utilizing a collaborative approach. The PICU team engages in advanced therapies including continuous renal replacement therapy, therapeutic plasma exchange, and organ donation.
As a Pediatric Registered Respiratory Therapist at McMaster Children’s Hospital, the assignments span a variety of specialized areas; including PICU, inpatient wards and our Pediatric Emergency Department. In addition to working within these areas, once the required experience is obtained, opportunities exist to complete advanced training to work within the Pediatric Critical Care Response Team (PACE), as well as become a member of the Pediatric Critical Care Transport Team, which provides transport for critically ill children across southern Ontario.
Schedule Work Hours
days, nights, weekends, holidays
1. Graduate of an accredited program in Respiratory Therapy
2. Current Registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario
3. Successful Completion of the Canadian Board of Respiratory Care (CBRC) exam
4. Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
5. Current Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification or willing to complete within six (6) months of start date
6. Minimum two (2) years recent experience in a pediatric setting
7. Current pediatric critical care experience preferred
8. Demonstrated ability to perform well in critical high stress situations
9. Demonstrated knowledge of pediatric growth and development
10. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills, especially in stressful situations
11. Demonstrated teamwork, organizational skills, problem-solving and conflict management skills
12. Demonstrated ability to be highly motivated and self-directed and responsive to an ever-changing environment and patient conditions
13. Experience engaging in Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives
14. Willingness to precept respiratory therapy clinical students
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Hamilton Health Sciences - King West, P.O. Box 2000
Job Posting Link
Hamilton Health Scienceswebsite