Respiratory Therapist Clinical Lead
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Join a world of possibility! Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital creates a world of possibility by supporting children and youth living with disability, medical complexity, illness and injury. Holland Bloorview is a top 40 Canadian research hospital that is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and serves over 7,500 families annually. Providing both inpatient and outpatient services, Holland Bloorview is renowned for its expertise in partnering with clients and families to provide exceptional care and is the only organization to ever achieve 100 per cent in two successive quality surveys by Accreditation Canada. Holland Bloorview has won numerous awards including Greater Toronto's Top Employers, Canada's Top Employers for Young People and Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures. We offer an inspiring, innovative, and collaborative work environment with competitive compensation and benefit packages and programs that support ongoing learning and professional growth.Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fostering a climate of equity and diversity and welcomes and respects the diversity of our clients, families, staff, trainees, volunteers, trustees and partners. As part of our commitment to fair and equitable recruitment and selection practices, we encourage applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within our community.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabiliation Hospital
• Works closely with an Interprofessional team using theoretical and evidence-based practice to plan, implement therapeutic intervention, and coordinate care for cardio-respiratory care clients on our Complex Continuing Care unit, in particular clients in our Long Term Vent program and those clients admitted from acute care with tracheostomies transitioning to home.
• Coordinates care to ensure smooth transitions for clients and families between services, while building capacity of clients/families to manage their own care
• Works with the biomedical engineer, vendors, community partners and families to ensure clients have appropriate equipment while on our inpatient units and when transitioning home.
• Contributes to innovative approaches for care of complex clients
• Participates in client rounds, family team meetings, bedside rounding, intake meetings and discharge meetings with the interprofessional team.
• Member on the code blue team responding to emergencies and providing interventions for cardiorespiratory events.
• Establish partnerships with external vendors and coordinates with the Ministry of Health & Long Term Care (MOHLTC) for funding support of client equipment
• Consults and collaborates with interprofessional team members, clients and families as well as community healthcare providers to address identified client care needs
• Coordinates with infection control to ensure equipment reprocessing meets current practice standards. Communicates any updates or changes to respiratory staff as required.
• Consults with the biomedical engineer and is up-to-date with equipment recalls. Communicates to relevant stakeholders.
• At Holland Bloorview we align our values with the LEADs framework
• Participates in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives
• Sits on specific committees as a voice for Respiratory Therapy to share important feedback to the Respiratory Practice Council.
• Advocates to influence health care practice, policy and outcomes
• Serves as a resource and consultant in decision-making, and problem-solving processes
• Identifies opportunities for change and provides recommendations for quality improvement as necessary
• Supports in the development/revision of practice guidelines, protocols, policies and procedures related to cardio-respiratory care
• Serves as a Clinical Educator to respiratory therapy students
• Educates clients, families, members of the health care team, and supplies access in the community.
• Facilitates evidenced-based practice education to other healthcare disciplines requiring respiratory recertification
• Supports community nursing agencies and attendant care services education on safe care for clients with tracheostomy tubes, mechanical ventilation and oxygen therapy.
• Enhances personal and professional development by attending educational opportunities and /or conferences in clinical specialty, and/or leadership topics
• Creating tools for clients and families in the community
• Supports BLS recertification
• At Holland Bloorview we promote excellence through research and innovation.
• Degree/Diploma Respiratory Therapy program
• Current registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO)
• Current registration with Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) or Respiratory Therapy Society of Ontario (RTSO) preferred
• Minimum 2 years pediatric cardio-respiratory care experience required; experience working with children with disabilities preferred
• Understanding of MOHLTC funding processes
• Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
• Experience with pediatric long term care airway and ventilation preferred
• Basic life support (BLS) instructor preferred
• Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification preferred
• Demonstrated problem-solving and critical thinking skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Proven ability to work independently, and as part of an interprofessional team, willingness to precept students
• Able to use computer software such as MS Office applications, email and web applications