Senior Laboratory Technologist – Histology
St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital (STEGH) is a 157-bed facility serving the City of St. Thomas and all seven municipalities within the County of Elgin. STEGH is a fully accredited hospital offering a full range of hospital services, including: outpatient care (surgery and ambulatory clinics), diagnostic imaging, inpatient acute care (medicine, surgery, maternal child), emergency services, post-acute care (rehabilitation and continuing care), as well as regional satellite services (chemotherapy and stroke unit).More than 850 individuals work at STEGH and over 200 credentialed professional staff (physicians, dentists and midwives) who provide care and ensure the highest quality and safety to each and every patient. STEGH is also supported by 160 volunteers and 130 students. STEGH has partnered with London hospitals to provide specialized services in our community, such as the District Stroke Centre and the Outpatient Chemotherapy Clinic. What’s more, STEGH provides a broad range of outpatient ambulatory clinics and diagnostic imaging services – serving tens of thousands of patients every year.The hospital participates in the Southwestern Ontario Medical Education Network as a community hospital training centre for residents in OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Hospitalists, Anesthesiology, and Maxillofacial Surgery.
St. Thomas, Ontario
The Senior Laboratory Technologist (Histology) performs routine bench duties in accordance with laboratory policies and procedures to ensure a high quality, accurate and timely result. They operate, maintain and perform troubleshooting on a variety of laboratory instruments to ensure optimal function. They contribute to the ongoing improved operation of Histology processes, and the authoring of Histology standard operating procedures in accordance with regulatory standards. The Senior Laboratory Technologist participates in the validation and assessment of procedures and equipment under the direction of Laboratory Management.
• Must have completed a recognized Medical Laboratory Technologist program from a recognized post-secondary institution; BSC/MLT or ART preferred.
• Must be registered and actively practicing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario
• Preference will be given to those with a minimum of six (6) years previous clinical laboratory experience preferably within a Hospital environment, with three years Histology experience required
• Knowledge of Ontario Hospital Lab Accreditation requirements and experience with the process preferred
• Preference will be given to those with Cerner LIS experience and computer skills to include the regular use of Outlook, Risk Monitor Pro, Internet/Intranet navigation including STEGHnet, basic word processing
• Participates in the training and orientation of staff and students.
• Strong analytical reasoning and decision making skills
• Advanced ability to perform medical lab techniques and procedures
• Proven ability to solve analytical and technical problems
• Highly team and customer focused with the ability to communicate respectfully in a pleasant, flexible and professional manner with all patients, families, staff and volunteer
• Ability to adapt to changes in assignment throughout a shift, follow instructions and conduct yourself professionally
• Open to change and is proactive to departmental initiatives
• Ability to work alone, prioritize and take initiative – self-motivated
• Physical ability to perform assigned duties.
• Acceptable performance and attendance record
STEGH Laboratory Services provides 24/7 support. This position will be required to work all departmental shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
$37.18 - $46.08 per hour
Please apply via our website. This is a direct link to the job posting:
STEGH Human Resources
189 Elm St., St. Thomas, ON
519-631-2030 ext 2421
Job Posting Link