Senior Technologist – Full Time – Laboratory
Sault Area Hospital (SAH)
erving a catchment population of approximately 115,000 SAH provides primary, secondary and select tertiary services to residents in Sault Ste. Marie and the District of Algoma.In addition to providing core services in Emergency and Critical Care; Medicine; Surgery; Obstetrics, Maternity and Pediatrics; Mental Health and Addictions; Complex Continuing Care; and Rehabilitation, SAH is also home to the Algoma Regional Renal Program and the Algoma District Cancer Program including radiation therapy services. SAH is extremely proud of our entire team of over 1700 dedicated staff, 365 physicians and 535 volunteers.
Sault Ste. Marie
1. Organize and supervise all aspects of preventative maintenance and associated instrument checks. Attend current and new instrument courses and shares knowledge with lab staff. Determine the primary contact with the manufacturer/supplier.
2. Organize and supervise department quality control programs. Inform Manager/Designate and/or QA Coordinator of repetitive or significant control problems.
3. Ensure all staff working in the department are properly trained and competent.
4. Supervise daily work distribution.
5. Organize collection and recording of QC, audits and workload information as required.
6. Ensure adequate inventory of supplies, while demonstrating fiscal responsibility.
7. Determine, implement and monitors corrective actions when required.
8. Conduct annual review of departmental processes and procedures.
9. Develop departmental processes and procedures.
10. Maintain/destroy documents according to regulations.
11. Review and follow-up Lab Incidents.
12. Ensure department section of Lab Service Manual is current.
13. Attend Laboratory Meetings, conduct departmental meetings and assign a designate to perform these tasks when unavailable.
14. Determine the primary contact with the manufacturer/supplier.
15. Perform laboratory procedures as indicated in departmental manuals, following hospital and Laboratory policies.
16. Participate in Quality Control procedures and Quality Assurance Programs.
17. Communicate effectively with Patient Care Providers on laboratory matters and exercise independent judgment in specimen procurement, specimen analysis, reporting and interpretation of findings.
18. Other duties as assigned
1. Current registration in good standing with CMLTO.
2. Five years experience as a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
SKILLS & ABILITY:
3. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
4. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
5. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
6. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
7. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
8. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
9. Behaviour consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
10. Human relations skills including empathy, sensitivity, understanding of human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques and counseling skills (e.g. teaching patients).
11. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
12. Working knowledge of all equipment and instruments used in assigned laboratory area.
13. Organize and supervise all aspects of preventative maintenance and associated instrument checks.
14. Attend current and new instrument courses and shares knowledge with lab staff.
$35.91 - $44.51
750 Great Northern Rd