Process and Guidelines for Preventing and Managing Infections and Transmission of COVID-19
These guidelines provide directions for preventing and managing infections amongst Michener students, faculty, staff and patients, and preventing the transmission of COVID-19 at Michener.
To prioritize the health and wellbeing of students, patients, faculty and staff, there is now daily screening in place at Michener. All staff, faculty, and students must enter the building through the entrance at 222 St. Patrick Street and be screened.
You may be screened in one of these ways:
- By verbally attesting that you do not have any of the symptoms listed below,
- By tapping in with your ID badge in addition to the daily attestation.
Please do not come to Michener if you have ANY of the following symptoms:
- fever or chills
- new or worsening cough
- shortness of breath
- sore throat or difficulty swallowing
- runny nose
- loss of smell or taste
- body aches (muscle or joint pain)
- eye pain or pink eye
- unexplained headache
- severe fatigue/weakness
- vomiting or nausea
- abdominal pain
- unexplained worsening chronic condition
Inform your Faculty and Program Administrative Assistant if you are unable to attend, and also notify Heath Services by phone at Tel: 416.596.3101 ext. 3320 or email@example.com.
For questions or concerns:
- Contact the UHN Occupational Health hotline 416-340-3556 or fill out their online call-back form or consult the Occupational Health COVID-19 Toolkit for Staff which includes an FAQ.
With everyone working online, we recognize that some students may currently be residing at locations across the province of Ontario, elsewhere in Canada, or beyond our national borders. Please be advised that The Michener Institute of Education at UHN is following the Government’s directions on travel, as detailed in these helpful links.
At this time, we would ask all students who are currently not in Canada to pay particular attention to the need for travellers to self-isolate for fourteen (14) days upon their return to Canada, and more specifically, to the Greater Toronto Area.
Important points to note:
- All students, faculty and staff are required to wear masks at all times unless eating or drinking. Masks are available at the building entrance.
- Distancing of 2m (6 feet) or more is required wherever possible.
- Elevator capacity is significantly reduced.
- Labs have been scheduled with reduced student numbers to support physical distancing.
- Labs have been scheduled to limit travel expectations for students.
- Labs have been scheduled to promote distancing in common areas such as the lobby.
- Please adhere to your scheduled timetable and direction from your program to support safety on campus.
- Face shields are available for labs where distancing is not attainable.
- Students are discouraged from staying onsite for extended hours.
- Respite rooms, such as large classrooms with distancing, will be assigned to programs for breaks. Students are discouraged from staying onsite for extended hours and the 13th floor seating area will be closed until further notice.
PPE Guidelines and Universal Masking Policy
Michener staff prepared this short video demonstrate correct PPE procedures that are specific to the St. Patrick campus and non-clinical teaching activities. This video is intended to provide safety guidelines to Michener students, staff and visitors during the time of COVID-19.
Learning Resource Centre
LRC is not currently scheduled to open physically in Fall 2020 due to infection control concerns – however, the LRC remains open virtually.
- LRC resources are available electronically from the LRC website.
- Program Resource Guides provide curated access to materials by program.
- Tips for students can be found on our Learner tab from the Teaching & Learning in the Time of COVID-19 Portal.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us at LRC@Michener.ca
Students are strongly advised to purchase all course textbooks.
Athletics and Recreation
The fitness facilities (gymnasium, work-out area and change rooms) are not currently scheduled to open in Fall 2020 due to infection control concerns and will remain closed until further notice. The facilities will reopen once it is safe to do so.
Intramurals are also suspended for the Fall semester.