Anesthesia Assistant – Surgical Suites
Scarborough Health Network
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. We are also proud to be named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2022! Learn more at shn.caFOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department. Fully vaccinated: having received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by WHO (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); and having received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago.
Reporting to the Manager, Operating Room, the Anaesthesia Assistant (AA), a regulated health care professional, is trained to provide Anaesthesia care to stable surgical patients under supervision and immediate availability of an Aneasthesiologist.
The AA will provide technical and clinical assistance to the Anaesthesiologist, this will include assistance in a block room and with inductions within the Operating Room. The scope of practice of the AA is defined by their own professional standards and by the scope of the supervising Anaesthesiologist. The Anaesthesiologist is responsible for delegating the tasks and responsibilities of the day to the AA.
• Baccalaureate Degree in a related health discipline
• Certified Clinical Anaesthesia Assistant (CCAA)
• Member of a regulated health care profession, e.g., Registered Nursing, Registered Respiratory Therapist, etc
• Post graduate diploma/certificate in the Anaesthesia Assistant program from an accredited community college or university
• Knowledge of Anaesthesiology, basic hemodynamic principles, and Anaesthesia equipment
• 5 years of multi-service operating room experience as a regulated health care professional
• 2 years experience as an Anaesthesia Assistant preferred
• BLS Certificate required, current ACLS Certification required within one year
• Demonstrated collaborative approach to inter-professional practice
• Sound clinical judgment and decision making abilities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
• Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
• Excellent work performance and attendance record
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following SHNCareers on Twitter and on Instagram.
Please contact Jasmine, HR Recruiter, at email@example.com for any questions about the position or hiring process.
Job Posting Link