East Mississauga Community Health Centre
• Perform clinical duties utilizing the full scope of chiropodial practice in a tailored approach, that is, assessing patients for foot health and illness care, treating and preventing disease, dysfunctions, or disorders of the lower limb by therapeutic or palliative means (e.g. physical examinations, advanced wound care, injection of drugs, matrixectomy, patient education, monitoring of chronic illness, treatment of local soft tissue and dermatological disorders of the foot and ankle, and through developing regimes for laser, ultrasound, TENS, mobilisation, and injury-specific exercises, etc.).
• Respond appropriately to clinical situations/medical emergencies.
• Listening and choosing how to convey information and ideas concisely in ways that will be clearly understood.
• Ensuring communication with other health care providers regarding patient care, making referrals as needed for comprehensive care, being involved in outreach and committee work.
• Document patient visits thoroughly and accurately in the client record daily.
• Prescribe oral and topical medication for management of pain, inflammation and infection.
• Prescribe, cast, fabricate and assess appropriate functioning of orthoses and ankle foot orthotic devices and support access to custom made orthopedic shoes.
• Prescribe, measure, fit and advise regarding compression stockings.
• Promote healthy behaviours to encourage foot health and on-going increased mobility.
• Supervise chiropody students.
• Uses a systematic approach to planning and problem solving both people and thing problems.
• Adapts to and works effectively with various individuals in a variety of situations or adapt one’s approach to accommodate changes in the situation. Understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue.
• Working effectively with patients to achieve common objectives. Taking action to create and sustain highly motivated patients to achieve common objectives.
• Order, dispense and collect reimbursement for clinical supplies and goods for sale.
• Ensure equipment is maintained and assist with updating capital inventory.
• Ensure clinical supplies are available when required.
• Monitor patient scheduling and waiting list.
• Bill and collect reimbursement for products sold, maintain financial records, and transfer funds.
• Know, understand and operate within budget.
• Carefully monitor expenses on a regular basis.
• Prepare reimbursement support documents for insurance and ODSP/OW.
• Certificate of Competency Current registration/license without limitations with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario.
• At least three years’ experience, preferably in community-based care.
• Proficiency in the manufacturing of custom orthotic devices.
• Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
• Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
• Demonstration of knowledge, understanding and practicing of infection control and prevention.
• Demonstrated commitment to, and knowledge of, the principles of primary health care, health promotion, and community based health care delivery.
• Demonstrated ongoing continuing education in practice and knowledge areas.
• Cross cultural experience and a second language an asset.
• Remaining calm under stress.
• Perceptive and sensitive to the feelings and attitudes of others.
• Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
• Knowledge of LAMP Community Health Centre, the East Mississauga community, and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.