South Riverdale Community Health Centre
CLINICAL NURSEFULL-TIME, CONTRACT POSITION TO MARCH 31, 2024SALARY RANGE: $65,362 - $76,897INCLUDES HOOPP (HEALTHCARE OF ONTARIO PENSION PLAN)South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.The Clinical Nurse is a registered nurse, who functions both independently and as a member of the primary care team. This position is responsible for co-ordinating work in the clinic with appropriate delegation and providing health care to the clients of the Centre, emphasizing health promotion, health education and disease prevention. The clinic nurse is also responsible to function as the Occupational Health and Safety nurse for the health centre. This position is expected to work onsite during the COVID-19 pandemic as required.
• Performs triage function as part of the primary care team
• Assesses acute and chronic wounds, initiates and executes wound care treatment plans
• Performs ECGs and point of care testing as required
• Responsible for the clinical assessment of all new clinical patients to the Centre
• Assumes primary care nursing role in the areas of acute and chronic disease prevention and management
• Responsible for implementing a system that ensures the maintenance of a fully equipped medical clinic, including the ordering and maintenance of laboratory/medical equipment and supplies
• Manages emergency, vaccination and medication supplies, ensuring safety and security of supply
• Ensures that standards of client care are maintained according to accepted College of Nurses standards, the Regulated Health Professions Act, and the policies of SRCHC
• Triages drop-ins and telephone calls from patients
• Monitors patients with episodic and stable chronic conditions commonly seen in primary health care, consulting with CHC physicians and NPs when issues present that go beyond the RN scope of practice
• Coordinates reminder system for preventative care
• Performs venipuncture, ECGs, and other tests as requested by clinicians
• Coordinates flu clinics and other immunization programs
• Makes internal referrals to other SRCHC staff as appropriate, and externally refers clients to specialists, hospitals or community resources as appropriate
• Participates in case conferences with other providers to ensure coordination of services to the client
• Reviews and triages all incoming electronic documentation (labs, consults, etc.) in clinical electronic in-box
• Works with medical reception team to review intake information for new clinical clients and presents findings to Clinical Team
• Coordinates registration and orientation to clinical services for new clients
• Participates in chart, case consultations and clinical meetings
• Assists with the coordination and implementation of clinical quality improvement activities across the clinic
• Evaluates and monitors health and safety policies, programming and services and makes recommendations as required and as a member of the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
• Manages and monitors the TB Skin Test Surveillance & immunization program for staff
• Works with Human Resources to ensure organizational compliance as set out by applicable health and safety legislation
• Integrates health promotion in the realms of lifestyle and nutrition into each interaction with individuals, families or groups through education and counselling
• Incorporates health care advances into practice and adjusts practice to the changing demographics and evolving needs of the community
• Assists and works with community groups in the development of community outreach programs as directed
• Participates in the development of, and gives support to, policies/strategies which are in the interest of public health and which support the recognition of the determinants of health
• Collaborates with teams across the organization to identify and provide health education to target groups
• Utilizes a health promotion approach, addressing determinants of health
• All other duties as required
• Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario, and certificate of continuing competence.
• BSc in Nursing from a recognized university or equivalent education and experience.
• Thorough current nursing knowledge and proficiency in conducting a comprehensive health history, physical assessment and construction of a nursing management plan
• Recent experience in a clinical triaging role
• 3-5 years in a community setting or a combination of community experience and relevant hospital or public health nursing, including both client care and administrative experience
• Knowledge and experience of primary care issues and challenges for high risk communities
• Maintains knowledge of current social/health issues, and legislation affecting the practice of nursing
• Previous experience in managing acute and chronic wounds or willingness to start a fundamentals of wound care course within 3 months of hire
• Previous experience following routine and catchup immunization schedules or willingness to complete CPS EPIC immunization course within 1 month of hire
• Comprehensive knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation
• Knowledge and ideally experience as an Occupational Health Nurse
• Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity, anti-racism and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment
• Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
• Proof of triple COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
35 Hourse Per Week
$65,362 - $76,897; Includes HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan)
The deadline for applicants is Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. (noon).
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee - Clinical Nurse
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: email@example.com
Please enter “Clinical Nurse” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages applicants who are racialized (IBPOC) and/or applicants who face any barriers as a result of systemic discrimination to apply for this position.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.
995 Queen Street East
416 461 3577
Job Posting Link
South Riverdale Community Health Centrewebsite