Medical Lab Technologist
HQ will be a centre of excellence in gay men’s health, providing tailored mental health services, sexual health services, and community/social programming. It will provide an accessible, safe, welcoming space for all cis men and trans people who are into guys regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender identify, sexual orientation, HIV status, socio-economic status, immigration status or ability. It will provide comprehensive, holistic services that empower clients and promote their physical, sexual, mental, emotional, community and spiritual/social well-being. At HQ, we will work collaboratively with stakeholders and communities to promote health equity, through community engagement, and equitable access and participation in the centre’s programs. Find out more about us at: https://hqtoronto.ca/
790 Bay Street, Toronto, ON
• Perform analytical tests, assess, interpret and report results.
• Prepare and issue reports on samples and specimens.
• Maintain accurate laboratory records and records of testing.
• Operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
• Practice and perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures with accuracy and precision.
• Report failures, issues & action taken to immediate supervisor.
• Recognize abnormal and critical results, and takes appropriate actions according to the established standard operating procedure, as required.
• Provide training to technologists, students and clinical fellows as needed.
• Follow inventory control system and communicate status to ensure availability of adequate reagents and supplies.
• Participate in the development, implementation and support of the policies, processes and procedures within the quality management system.
• Follow health and safety procedures as per guidelines.
• Prepare relevant samples for shipment to Public Health Ontario and other external labs.
• Perform quality control and document control results, including review of daily quality control results.
• Recognize unusual quality control results, take remedial action and document outcome.
• Report ongoing or unresolved quality control issues to immediate supervisor.
• Bachelor of Science and/or diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology, Bachelor of Science in MLT is preferred
• Qualified as a medical laboratory technologist with at least 2 years of experience working in a clinical lab setting
• Current registration with CMLTO required
• Be knowledgeable and practice in accordance with the Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH) and the Public Health Agency of Canada Biosafety Level 2 Standards
• Experience with molecular diagnostics
• Experience with large and small analyzers, dedicated instruments, calibrations
• Experience working with Abbott Alinity and/or Hologic Panther is an asset
• Solid computer skills including a demonstrated ability to be self-directed and adaptable to new technologies and processes
• Ability to maintain accurate records and documentation
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment
• Skills in leadership, problem solving, decision making and critical thinking
Reports to: Director, Medical
Status: Permanent, full-time (2 vacancies)
About the Role:
HQ will offer express onsite laboratory testing for HIV and other STBBIs – including syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV and HCV – and diagnose those infections within hours. Having laboratory testing onsite will allow HQ to diagnose infections same day and offer rapid (immediate) initiation of prevention (e.g. PrEP, PRP) and treatment (HIV) and services onsite.
We are seeking qualified candidates to fill two full-time medical lab technologist positions. These two positions will work together to support express testing of HIV and STBBIs, using the Abbott Alinity I series and the Hologic Panther.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please use the position title as the subject line and attach your cover letter and resume as a single PDF/Word file in an e-mail to email@example.com
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in HQ, but only candidates receiving serious consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
HQ is committed to employment equity, a just workplace and the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of LGBTQ2S people in all that we do. We encourage applications from people with culturally diverse backgrounds and from people within the LGBTQ2S community.
We are also committed to fostering inclusion and accessibility in all areas of our work. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Posting Link