Medical Laboratory Technologist
Timmins and District Hospital
The Timmins and District Hospital (TADH) provides a work environment suitable for individuals motivated by a dynamic health care team, where culture is based on innovation, compassion and excellence. Being a part of the TADH team offers stability, dynamic learning & professional growth opportunities, flexible work options, the benefit of making a difference, and so much more.
• To meet regulatory requirements of the Laboratory.
• To contribute to the development of departmental philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures.
• To participate in the all-routine technical, medical laboratory procedures; including non-specialized “stat” procedures in immunohematology, hematology, biochemistry, microbiology and pathology according to established departmental procedures.
• To be responsible for the use of all normal and routine automated equipment within the Laboratory including the maintenance and minor repairs of the equipment.
• To participate in the daily quality assurance program and to be responsible for the designated work area.
• To demonstrate and teach technical and theoretical aspects of assigned specialty in the Laboratory as required.
• To maintain strict confidentiality of all patient and hospital information.
• To work closely with new technical staff and students and to demonstrate new equipment.
• To keep informed of new trends of laboratory technology and to introduce, when feasible, to achieve improved patient care.
• To keep the Laboratory Management informed of all relevant factors pertaining to patient care, cost and utilization of equipment, materials.
• To develop and maintain effective working relationships with laboratory staff, other departments, medical staff, community agencies, and to keep them informed of any changes or developments which may affect them.
• To report any faulty equipment or potential hazards to the Laboratory Supervisor.
• To perform other departmental responsibilities as assigned.
• Must be a graduate of an approved school of Laboratory Technology and registered with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario. Must possess the ability to perform position responsibilities, which require precise attainment of strict limits, tolerances and standards, and to make independent decisions to ensure optimal patient care and efficient operation of the department.
• Must possess the verbal ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and other medical personnel in order to give and receive information or instructions and to write clear and accurate technical reports.
• Must possess the physical capacity to perform medium work, requiring lifting and positioning of equipment and patients and the ability of travel distances in the Hospital.
• Must possess the numerical ability to make mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Must possess the visual acuity to discern details when using microscopes or making other observations.
• Employment history demonstrating regular work attendance.
• Must possess the ability to provide effective services to clients/patients in both English and French. Individuals who do not meet the language requirements of this posting are invited to submit their résumé for future consideration.
• Bilingualism (French and English) considered an asset.
• Criminal background check (vulnerable sector) required.
• Must have had at least two doses of the COVID vaccine
45 hours biweekly (Part-time)
Starting salary of $33.65/hour; $65,617.50/year (As per Step 1 of the OPSEU collective agreement.)
• Recruitment incentives up to $5,000.
• Option to enroll into Ontario Pension Plan.
• Option to enroll into extended health care and dental care plan.
700 Ross Ave E
Job Posting Link