Health Sciences North
1. Ensure the safe and efficient performance of the heart-lung machine and related equipment, including cell savers, Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps (IABP), Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD), and Right Ventricular Assist Devices (RVAD).
2. Prepare and operate the heart-lung machine and other related equipment used for open heart operations or vascular cases.
3. Assist in the implantation and programming of permanent pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICD).
4. Execute physiological measurements and monitor physiological responses during surgery; perform other related procedures in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures.
5. Maintain the patient's physiologic parameters during Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB).
6. Collect, interpret, record, and report clinical data electronically.
7. Transport patients on extracorporeal devices as required.
8. Assist with the insertion, maintenance, and transfer of patients with IABP, and ensure ECMO, LVAD, and RVAD remain available until patient is stable in Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
9. Assess, evaluate, and revise cardiovascular perfusion standards according to evidence-based practice.
10. Develop and maintain resources and reference materials in relation to current practice.
11. Provide expert perfusion consultation to patients and their families.
12. Work collaboratively with members of the health care team to achieve excellence in patient care.
13. Participate in the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) program.
14. Participate in the daily organization and preparation of patient care plans and departmental workflow.
15. Provide instructions to perfusion students and general orientation to Nursing and Respiratory staff, Residents, and other health care personnel on the basics of Cardiac Surgery, including the use of by-pass and other relevant equipment.
16. Participate in an on-call rotation.
17. Identify cardiovascular perfusion research opportunities by questioning current practices.
18. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
19. Evaluate patient care and satisfaction on an ongoing basis and formulate solutions for improvement.
20. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN True North; monitor and adjust to achieve goal outcomes.
21. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
22. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
23. Perform other duties as required.