St. Mary's General Hospital
Provides treatment modalities as outlined by the recommended national standards for Perfusion Practice.
Provides therapeutic services including (but not limited to):
o Administration of various medical gases, anesthetics, drugs, blood products, and crystalloid solutions under prescription of the physician.
o Induced hypothermia and hemodilution of various degrees
o Ventricular assistance via Right Ventricular Assist Devices, Left Ventricular Assist Devices, and Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps.
o Long term pulmonary support – ECMO
o Autotransfusion and blood salvage
Effectively applies organizational and time management skills to prioritize workload, to problem solve, and to adapt to frequent interruptions and change.
Advocates and adheres to the standards of perfusion practice as outlined by the Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion
Analyzes various hemodynamic and blood chemistry test results and manipulates the appropriate perfusion equipment or utilizes the appropriate perfusion technique to maintain established guidelines.
In consultation with the physician, provides appropriate control of the patient’s cardiopulmonary and metabolic homeostasis.
Assesses procedure(s) to be performed as well as patient requirements and chooses the appropriate components for the extracorporeal circuit.
Assists with the development, implementation, and evaluation of best practices including the implementation of quality and safety standards and protocols designed to ensure safe, effective patient care.
Identifies safety issues and brings them to the attention of leadership.
• Maintains a high level of current knowledge and technique through participation in recognized training programs, continuing education, and maintenance of professional certification.
• Adapts communication and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients and their families, co-workers, physicians, volunteers and others within our health care community.
• Demonstrate values and a commitment to foster a healthy, supportive work environment dedicated to delivering a high quality care experience though compassion, innovation and respect.
• Collaborates and liaises with members of the health care team to achieve excellence in patient care.
• Responsible for the operation and monitoring of mechanical devices used during cardiac surgical procedures requiring partial or complete cardio-pulmonary bypass support, as well as other related support systems.
• Participates in activities related to cardiovascular and myocardial perfusion equipment, including selection, assembly, calibration, operation, and routine maintenance.
• Ensures quality assurance testing
• Monitors the performance and function of equipment
• In collaboration with Perfusion Department, advocates for, and evaluates new equipment. Participates in the capital planning and RFP process as required.
• Works collaborative with colleagues, physicians and hospital administration to develop, implement, and evaluate effective and safe treatment modalities, protocols, and procedures.
• Providing ongoing support and mentorship for colleagues, students, and new staff members.
• Participates in research involving surgical, anaesthetic and perfusion related concepts.
• Ensures workload measurement is completed and tracked by all team members.