Kingston Health Sciences Centre
Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) is Southeastern Ontario’s largest acute-care academic hospital. Consisting of our Hotel Dieu Hospital site and Kingston General Hospital site, as well as the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario and two research institutes, we care for more than 500,000 patients and families from across our region. As one of Kingston’s largest employers, we are home to nearly 5,000 staff, more than 2,000 health-care learners and 1,000 volunteers who are committed to partnering with patients and families to ensure we continually provide high quality, compassionate care. Fully affiliated with Queen’s University we are ranked as one of Canada’s top research hospitals.
Radiation Therapist is an integral member of the Radiation Treatment Program and play a key role in the provision of radiation therapy. Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
Radiation therapist may participate in one or more of a range of activities, which together encompass the full extent of their professional training. Activities may include but not be limited to treatment planning, treatment delivery, patient care, patient immobilization and positioning, performing treatment calculations, imaging, quality assurance, and research. All radiation therapists are expected to contribute to teaching/training: patients and families, students, peers contribution will be greater in key areas of individual’s expertise.
Radiation therapist is required to practice in accordance with provincial professional standards of practice and legislated regulations. Contribution to a high standard of care will be measured through knowledge and utilization of departmental protocols and professional standards of practice.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Demonstrates personal accountability for practice; adheres to protocols and standards of care as defined by program policies and regulatory bodies (e.g. CMRTO, CNSC).
• Maintains awareness of clinical policies and protocols and employs established standards as well as study protocols.
• Uses equipment and product safely, efficiently and effectively; in accordance with in-house procedures, manufacture’s specifications (e.g. WHMIS) and regulatory requirement (e.g. HARP & CNSC).
• Interprets and implements radiation oncologists’ radiation treatment prescriptions, which include: computerized treatment plans, use of immobilization and beam modifying devices and accurate dose calculations.
• Participates and assists radiation oncologists and medical physicists with treatment planning in the clinical setting. Maintains an awareness of dose tolerance levels based on anatomical region, treatment volume and total treatment dose/fractionation.
• Participates in the development and implementation of the patient care plan including performing basic patient care skills, assessing patient care needs and referring to support services as needed.
• Educates patients and evaluates their understanding regarding planning procedures, treatment delivery process, and side effects related to radiation treatment and documents the information given to patients, queries, concerns raised.
• Performs and complies with treatment delivery quality assurance activities as outlined in the quality assurance policies and guidelines.
• Ensures accurate delivery and documentation of the radiation treatment in a timely manner, verifies with image as necessary.
• Utilizes professional knowledge and applies critical thinking skills to problem solve.
• Withholds radiation treatment until appropriate intervention by medical staff, based on patient’s condition.
• Monitors and maintains quality of patient care (i.e.: reports incidents, identifies trends, puts forth recommendations, may perform clinical research and technique reviews, performs routine review of treatment prescriptions, follows goals, objectives and policies/procedures and standards of practice for the radiation oncology program).
• Perform quality assurance on equipment, documents results and report non-conformance. Notify Manager or delegate of machine break down so that patient reschedule process may be initiated.
• Participates in new employee orientation and training of radiation therapy students and other health care professionals through both didactic and clinical programs.
• Attends and contributes to disease site group meetings, team meeting, etc.
• Participate in professional development and continuing education activities.
• Graduate of a recognized Radiation Therapy training program and successful completion of the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) certification examination.
• Member of the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario (Radiation Therapy) or eligible for registration.
• Member of Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists in good standing, or eligible for membership.
• Baccalaureate degree preferred.
• Current CPR certification.
• Excellent interpersonal, counseling and patient care skills
• Good computer skills, familiar with Radiation Therapy Electronic Medical Record (ARIA), Treatment Planning System and Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT).
• Ability to work in and promote a self-directed team environment, with excellent communication skills, decision making, problem solving and teaching skills.
• Good time management and problem solving skills.
• Show adaptability, initiative and flexibility.
• Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
• Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
76 Stuart St, Kingston, ON K7L 2V7
613-549-6666 ext 3035
Job Posting Link