Registered Practical Nurse – Diabetes Eye Screening Program
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSEDIABETES EYE SCREENING PROGRAMPART-TIME, 6 MONTH CONTRACT21 HOURS/WEEK SALARY RANGE: $47,095 - $55,406South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.The Registered Practical Nurse works in support of the Diabetes Eye Screening Program providing retinal screening services to patients at multiple locations. This role involves overseeing patient scheduling, referral and follow-up care as well as participating in promoting awareness of the program to clients and external providers. In addition, this role provides back-up support to the broader clinic utilizing standard applicable skills and procedures.This position is expected to work onsite during the COVID-19 pandemic as required.
• Participates in the development, implementation, promotion, monitoring and evaluation of the program and its services
• Works with the Service Administration Team to support registration and orientation to Tele-Ophthalmology services for new clients
• Assists in scheduling of clients
• Participates in training for the ophthalmology camera
• Coordinates infection control and sterilization of equipment
• Maintains a fully equipped clinic through ordering of laboratory/medical supplies
• Assists with maintenance of medical equipment both by internal and external (supplier) maintenance measures
• Ensures exam rooms, laboratory and medical supply cupboards are kept safe, clean and stocked
• Manages the medications supply cabinet, including samples and ensures safety and security of the supply
• Ensures the availability of sterile clinical equipment by autoclaving as necessary
• Ensures best practice standards are met as they pertain to the autoclaving of equipment and supplies
• Ensures maintenance of medical equipment as per maintenance measures
• Coordinates collection, disposal and pick-up of Bio-hazardous waste
• Provides written reports of activities
• Responsible for retinal screening of all in-coming Tele-Ophthalmology patients to the Centre and community members in conjunction with other Registered Practical Nurse ; involves a visual acuity test, administering eye drops, eye pressure check and using ophthalmology cameras
• Keeps timely, accurate records of clients seen and ensures confidentiality of any documentation of client encounter data
• Participates in chart, case consultations and clinical meetings
• Integrates health promotion into each interaction with individuals, families or groups
• Incorporates health care advances into practice and adjusts practice to the changing demographics and evolving needs of the community
• Maintains professional competence
• Maintains knowledge of current social/health issues and infection control processes
• Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program
• Currently registered as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Minimum 2 years experience as a Registered Practical Nurse in a primary health care setting
• Excellent proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications (MS Office, E-mail, Internet, Electronic Health Records)
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
• Understanding of and interest in the use of communications and learning technologies in health care delivery
• Knowledge and experience of primary care issues and challenges
• Comprehensive knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care
• Demonstrated experience working with disenfranchised populations
• Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
• Proof of double COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
Part Time 6 Months Contract ; 21 Hours/Week
$47,095 - $55,406
The deadline for applicants is Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee - Registered Practical Nurse
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: email@example.com
Please enter “Registered Practical Nurse” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.
955 Queen Street East