Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
The Medical Imaging Department is excited to introduce the new role of Technologist Assistant. As part of ongoing departmental development of interprofessional practice (IPC) and consistent with one of four (4) Sunnybrook strategic directions in “Building High Performing Teams”, a need has been identified to enhance assistance to our technologist teams to help improve effectiveness and efficiency which in turn is expected to improve patient experience and staff experience in providing quality patient care in imaging. Working closely with the Medical Radiation Technologists, the Technologist Assistant will support multiple patient care related tasks that optimizes the skill mix in providing safe and effective care to patients.
• Assist in positioning, transferring and lifting of patients as part of imaging procedures e.g. in radiography including portable exams, positioning and preparing ICU patients for CT/MRI exams
• Assist in data entry and documentation of patient/procedural information into applicable information systems including radiology information system, bed management system etc.
• Assist in confirming patient preparations and patient conditions prior to scheduling of inpatients, emergency department patients and outpatients such as isolation status, blood work for creatinine, nothing to eat before IV contrast administration in CT etc.
• Manage inventory and logistics of supplies including ordering, tracking and stocking
• Verify if special and procedure specific surgical supplies are in stock based on patient schedule and radiologist requirements
• Assist technologists and nurses in angio procedures in providing supplies and in creating/maintaining sterile fields
• Review orders and supporting documents (MRI)
• Assist in facilitating blood work
• Take blood samples and tissue specimens to labs for processing
• Assist in ensuring MRI, X-Ray safety
• Assist in verifying patient preparations
• Collaborate and communicate with the health care teams in assisting in technologists in the provision of patient care
• Operate imaging equipment including but not limited to patient lifts, imaging tables, wheel chairs and mobile x-ray units
• Prior radiological technologist knowledges and experience in a complex, fast paced inter-professional team environment.
• Excellent communication skills, demonstrating respectful and professional behavior is essential
• Demonstrated the ability to work as part of a team, under supervision and independently where applicable
• Demonstrating strong initiative and accountability towards own actions is a must for the candidate.
• Prior experience in all areas / modalities of a radiology department and in an acute care hospital environment is essential.
• Knowledge in infection prevention and control, handling imaging pharmaceuticals such as contrast medium are preferred
• Sound knowledge and skills in handling patient health information where its confidentiality and security is important.
Weekdays and Weekend: Days, Evenings, Nights; As needed; 8hrs; As per schedule On Call Required; Statutory Holidays Required