Continuing Education has made a decision to postpone in-person classes and workshops until further notice. Some exceptions may apply. All fully online programming and courses will continue or begin as scheduled. Please look for communications from your Faculty or Program Assistants for additional details.
We can now confirm that the clinical placement pause has been extended to at least July 6, 2020. We recognize that this is difficult news and we remain committed to the priority of student safety and the safety of patients.
Your Clinical Liaison Officers have been connecting with your Clinical Coordinators to determine the level of attainment of your competencies for clinical students. Some of you may have already been in touch with your Clinical Coordinators and may have signed off competencies virtually.
We are working very hard to ensure that your completion of the program is not compromised.
At the Board of Governor’s meeting on May 14, Advanced Diplomas and Graduate Certificates were conferred on 201 Michener graduates. The Board expressed their sincere congratulations to the students and to the faculty and support staff who supported the students throughout their program. Credentials will be couriered to new graduates in order for them to enter practice and we look forward to celebrating with them at a deferred convocation event.
This monumental event recognizes the academic excellence and achievement of our students. We recognize this is a time when families and significant others come together to celebrate the accomplishments of our loved ones and it is a time when faculty welcome graduates as their new colleagues. While we are reluctant to cancel the event, our priority is your safety. As we are unsure when limitations on social gatherings will be lifted, we are looking at various contingency plans including a deferral of the full convocation ceremony to the fall and will keep you apprised as we learn more.
- OSAP Students – the government of Ontario has paused deferred interest payments and required payments on Ontario Student Assistance Program payments until September 30. Please visit OSAP for detailed information and reach out to email@example.com with any further urgent questions.
- Graduates and Student Loans – Students completing their programs in 2020 who have student loans should note that the federal government has suspended payments and interest on the federal portion of their loan until September 30, 2020.
Please refer to the National Student Loans Service Centre.
- Other Financial Supports for Students and their Families – The new Canada Emergency Response Benefit may be of use to students or their family members.
- Flexible Bill Payments – Many companies are supporting their customers by offering flexible bill payment arrangements. We strongly encourage you to contact companies you pay bills to (e.g. cell phone, internet, utilities) to discuss your options.
- The Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) is now available. All Michener students (including those enrolled in the 2020 Summer Term) and recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- The 2020 Summer General Bursaries have been assessed and students are being notified.
- Looking ahead to 2020 Fall, the federal government has increased grants and loans meaning students enrolled in the 2020/21 academic year will receive more financial support than in prior (or potentially future) years.
- As well, we continue to recommend that students in financial need contact our partners at National Bank to discuss options like the Student Line of Credit.
There are many support resources available to help support you:
- Coaching and Counselling – by telephone or by video. Students can inquire about support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Services – services continue to be available for students by contacting email@example.com.
- Peer Tutoring – To arrange for a tutor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation and Accessibility – Please continue to follow the steps outlined on Accommodation and Accessibility page.
- Microsoft Office downloads and instructions – free for students
- The LRC staff are available by email, and can help with the following resources:
Recognizing that this is a stressful time for all, please continue to care for yourselves and each other whilst maintaining appropriate social distancing and PPE. As a reminder, visit my.Michener.ca COVID-19 updates page for general information.