Access to Official Student Records Policy
Access to Official Student Records Policy
|Approval Date||March 21, 2018|
|Effective Date||September 4, 2018|
The Policy applies to all staff, faculty, full-time and part-time students enrolled in programs* offered in The Michener Institute of Education at UHN, School for Applied Health Sciences (“Michener”).
*Students in joint programs must refer to their program handbook.
This policy provides information on access to the official student record as held by the Registrar’s Office.
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN (“Michener”) shall collect applicant and student information for educational, administrative and statistical purposes. Such information is collected in the Student Information System (SIS) and in physical files stored securely in the Registrar’s Office.
At the point of application to Michener, students consent to the collection and use of their personal information to process their admission, their enrolment and registration in academic programs; to record and track their academic progress; to provide the basis for awards and government funding; and for related record-keeping purposes. Students agree that all information and documentation submitted to Michener in support of an application for admission, registration, financial assistance, residence accommodation, or any appeal, becomes the property of Michener.
An electronic record of admission, registration, and academic standing is preserved, in perpetuity.
This policy provides guidelines for the collection, use, retention, and disclosure of information related to its students in accordance with the following guidelines.
Employee Access to Student Records
- Michener employees are permitted access to information contained in student records, to meet their employment obligations, provided they have signed a Michener confidentiality agreement;
- The Registrar (or designate) will monitor access to physical files as held in the Registrar’s Office and will monitor, grant (and revoke) access to the SIS.
Disclosure to Students
- Students with access to Michener Self-Service can securely view their academic records and student accounts;
- Students have the right to inspect their own official record as held by the Registrar’s Office;
- Students have the right to request that erroneous information contained in their records be corrected and that recipients of any information found to be in error be advised of the correction;
- Students wishing to inspect their record must make an appointment with the Registrar (or designate);
- If someone other than the student wishes to pick up a document (e.g. credential, transcript, etc.) on behalf of a students, the student must provide that person with a signed authorization and the third party must provide the signed authorization as well as photo identification.
Disclosure to Third Parties
- Upon written request to the Registrar’s Office (or through the Ontario College Application Service), students whose fee account shows no outstanding balance may request to have an official transcript of their record of studies at the Institute sent to a third party;
- In compliance with provincial and professional audit requirements, the Michener auditors will be granted limited access to data from official student records;
- Specified records, or portions thereof,may be provided to persons or agencies pursuant to a court order in situations where Michener is required to comply with the law, and as part of law enforcement investigations or proceedings.
Disclosure to Partners
Information may be shared with the following parties to facilitate fundamental activities:
- Universities and Colleges offering programs in academic partnership with Michener;
- Student Health Benefit providers for the issuance of Student Health Benefits for students in full-time programs;
- Government agencies to verify information regarding an application for admission and to support processes for government financial aid;
- Specified records, or portions thereof, may be provided to persons or agencies pursuant to a court order, summons or subpoena where Michener is requires to comply with the law, and as part of active law enforcement investigations or proceedings;
- Service to providers contracted by Michener to support business processes; and
- To provide information as allowed under applicable access/privacy legislation and policy.
All requests from other third-party organizations must be approved by the Registrar (or designate).
Disclosure to the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities
- As a publicly funded institution awarding financial aid to its students, Michener is required to disclose personal information such as student characteristics and educational outcomes to the Minister of Training Colleges and Universities.
|March 1, 2018||Cathy Carson||Policy creation and approval|
|August 9, 2019||AAC AA||Part of purpose moved to scope and “The Michener Institute of Education at UHN, School for Applied Health Sciences (“Michener”)” added|