Michener is committed to the provision of high quality education and training, and seeks to ensure an environment of intellectual integrity in both the learning and evaluation processes taking place here and in our affiliated clinical sites*. It is also committed to the establishment of an atmosphere of respect and appreciation for the rights and responsibilities of all those associated with Michener. Consistent with our strategic intent of ‘Best Experience, Best Education’, these Rights and Responsibilities have been developed as a joint effort of students, faculty and the administration of The Michener Institute of Education at UHN.
This document represents a statement of intention by Michener to honour the rights of its employees, students, volunteers, and guests and to expect in turn, for them to observe Michener rules, regulations and policies essential to its orderly operation.
This document cannot override any collective agreement or other legally enforceable contract where there is a conflict between the two documents however it does set out mutual expectations in order to promote the well-being of the Michener Community.
This document is complementary to and in no way alters an individual’s rights or responsibilities under:
- Michener‘s policies
- the rights and duties of individuals under the general laws of Canada, Ontario and any local government authority having jurisdiction; and
- the contract between sponsored individuals and the agency sponsoring such individuals
The following list of Rights is by no means a complete list of those rights and does not include, for example, the normally expected obligations individuals have with regard to their work.
Members of the Michener community have the right to:
- enjoy all rights and freedoms recognized by law
- a safe and positive environment free from harassment and discrimination
- an environment which is characterized by mutual respect and civility
- an environment that, while safeguarding dissent, is free from interference and disruption
- an environment which ensures that administrative decisions are made, or actions are taken, with fair regard for the known and legitimate interests of each individual
- an environment where due diligence is paid to protect the security of everyone on Michener property
- make, without fear of repercussion, a reasonable complaint or petition to the appropriate authority of Michener
- access facilities as a Michener community member upon payment of any required fees, and upon agreeing to abide by any rules, regulations and policies of Michener in regard to such use (scheduling limitations notwithstanding
- have published and made available on request the rules, regulations and policies of Michener
- enquire into and be informed honestly and fully about the reasons for such rules, regulations and policies; and
- make representations to the appropriate authority of Michener for changes to such rules, regulations and policies
- express one’s self individually or as part of a group verbally and in print; and the right to publish and distribute views on campus, free from censorship or reprisal, except where the exercise of such rights may interfere with the rights of others
- organize and take part in orderly and peaceful assemblies, provided that such assemblies do not interfere with the regular activities of Michener or of any member of the Michener community, and are in accordance with Michener policies and procedures
- have all members of the Michener community adhere to the Rights and Responsibilities set out in this document, and the right to pursue a complaint should another member fail to comply
- form, join and take part in any Michener approved organization, function and/or activity for academic, intellectual, religious, social, economic, political, cultural or recreational purposes
The following list of Responsibilities is by no means a complete list of those responsibilities and does not include, for example, the normally expected obligations individuals have with regard to their work.
Members of the Michener community have the Responsibility to:
- Observe/abide by the general laws of Canada, Ontario and any local government having authority in addition to Michener rules, regulations and policies
- know and adhere to Michener policies, rules, regulations and any relevant professional association standards, codes of conduct, or guidelines, including the Responsibilities set out in this document.
- comply with the directions of any member of the faculty or staff (or their designate) working at Michener, provided that such a person is acting in the proper performance of their regular or delegated duties; for example, showing identification to staff upon request
- refrain from any conduct which infringes on the rights of others
- contribute to and maintain a respectful and accepting environment, which is free from fear, harm, discrimination on prohibited grounds, harassment and intimidation (please see the Harassment and Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Policy and Procedure for further information https://michener.ca/?p=8633 )
- obtain the approval of Michener before soliciting money on Michener property or during Michener events or activities for any purpose
- obtain the approval of Michener before extending invitations to external speakers and/or guests to speak on Michener property
- treat Michener facilities and equipment with reasonable care and respect, and leave such properties or facilities in a state in which they can be enjoyed and used by other members of the Michener community
- respect posted hours and limits on building, classroom or laboratory entry, where such conditions exist
- observe expected attendance requirements
- refrain from making any false allegations against a member of the Michener community (please see the Harassment Policy for further information)
- refrain from making any frivolous or vexatious complaints against a member of the Michener community (please see the Harassment Policy for further information)
- Evacuate the buildings during fire alarms or other emergencies as instructed by Michener staff or emergency response personnel
- Obtain and maintain a Michener e-mail account
- Ensure that your guests abide by Michener policies
- Submit original work or appropriately credit the work of others
- Participate in an investigation under this document when requested to do so.
Failure to comply with these Responsibilities may form the basis of a complaint, and may result in the imposition of discipline up to and including termination of employment or expulsion, in the case of a student.
* Affiliated clinical sites may have expanded policies, rules, and regulations which govern Michener employees and/or students in their sites.