|Approval Date||June 28, 2018|
|Effective Date||September 4, 2018|
All Michener Institute of Education at UHN (“Michener”) full-time and part-time students, applicants, potential students, and alumni.
Michener is committed to meeting the spirit, intent, and requirements of the Ontario FIPPA (Freedom of Information and protection of Privacy Act) and the (PHIPA) Personal Health Information Protection Act (the “Acts”) and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act Regulation 262/15 (regarding data sharing for provincial Key Performance Indicators) in the protection of personal information and privacy. Michener will take precautions to protect the privacy of personal information under its possession, custody or control, as required by these Acts and Regulations.
- Michener is committed to compliance with the Act and other federal and provincial statues and regulations governing and regulating the collection, use, disclosure, retention, disposal, and protection of personal information;
- Michener will honor the right of access to information as governed by the Acts;
- Personal information collected will only be used by authorized staff to fulfill the purposes of which it was originally collected, or for a use consistent with that purpose;
- Michener requires third-party service providers (e.g. contractors, provincial survey agencies, etc.) to comply with the Acts, this policy, and related policies, principles, processes, and requirements of the Institute; and
- Michener will protect personal information in compliance with Canada’s anti-spam legislation.
“Personal Information” is defined in FIPPA as information about an identifiable individual and may include:
- Any identifying number, symbol or other identifier assigned to the individual;
- Information related to the race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or marital or family status of the individual;
- The home address or telephone number of the student, applicant, alumni;
- The individual’s personal opinions or views except where they relate to another individual;
- Correspondence or other communications received from the individual that is implicitly or explicitly confidential, and replies to them that would reveal the contents of the originals;
- Information relating to the educational, medical, psychiatric, psychological, or employment history of the individual or about financial transactions involving the individual (such as but not limited to OSAP applications, bursary applications or tuition payments); or
- The individual’s name where it appears with other personal information relating to the individual or where the disclosure of the name would reveal other personal information about the individual.
Michener will only collect, use, disclose, retain, dispose, protect, and manage personal information within its custody and control in accordance and compliance with the Acts and other federal and provincial statutes and regulations. Personal information shall only be used for the purpose for which it was collected to fulfill program, activities and operational requirements of the Institute to meet reporting requirements lawfully imposed upon the Institute.
Michener requires all students at the point of application or registration to understand and consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information.
Student Declaration of Agreement with Protection and Use of Personal Information
The following statement will be published on Michener application and registration forms as well as on self-service registration services.
The personal information on this form and other personal information which forms part of your student record is collected under the legal authority of Ontario FIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act) and the (PHIPA) Personal Health Information Protection Act (the “Acts”). the information is used for administrative and statistical research purposes of the Michener Institute of Education at UHN (“Michener”) and/or the ministries or agencies of the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada. the information will be protected, used, and disclosed in compliance with those Acts. except as provided in the foregoing, the personal information collected on this form and other personal information that comprises your student record will not be disclosed to any other person without your written consent. Michener may be required to release a student’s personal information if it becomes aware of compelling circumstances where their is a risk to the health and safety of the student or others.
- I, the applicant, declare that all information contained on this Application of Registration form is trues and complete, and no information has been withheld to the best of my knowledge;
- I agree to abide by the rules, regulations, and policies of the Michener Institute of Education at UHN;
- I understand and agree that Michener reserves the right to modify or cancel any program or course without notice or prejudice.
Collection of Personal Information
Michener will only collect personal information:
- That is reasonably necessary to the above identified purpose;
- Where the person has consented to its collection; or
- As otherwise required by law.
Use of Personal Information
Michener will only use personal information in its custody or under its control:
- Where the person has consented to its use;
- For the above purpose for which it was obtained or compiled;
- Where the information is necessary and proper in the discharge of Michener’s functions and responsibilities; or
- As otherwise required by law.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Michener will only disclose information:
- Where the disclosure is in accordance with the above general purpose and the disclosure is reasonably necessary to the discharge of Michener’s functions and responsibilities;
- For purposes of complying with a lawful requirement to provide information;
- Where disclosure is necessary to investigate an allegation that a person has made false statements or engaged in other misleading or dishonest conduct relating to their attendance, performance or completion of an academic program, or membership in a professional organization;
- Where disclosure is made to another educational institution or to a professional licensing authority or board of certification or similar institute;
- In compassionate circumstances necessary to protect the health and safety of the individual; or
- As required by law.
Academic transcripts will not be released without written request and/or consent of the individual if the transcript is for a third party.
Retention of Personal Information
Michener retains academic records in perpetuity.
Security of Personal Information
Michener is responsible for safeguarding your personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access or disclosure or modification and will take all reasonable measure to ensure the security of your personal information. These safeguards vary depending upon the sensitivity, format and storage of the personal information.
The Registrar’s Office shall be the point of contact for all matters* that relate to this policy. Inquiries should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
*the exception to this is matters related to student health information which is under the custody and control of the Office for Clinical Education and is protected under the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
|February 3, 2011||Robin Darling||Transferred to new template & table of contents created|
|July 14, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Reworded to create separate student focused policy|
|June 15, 2017||Wendy Pais||Contact information updated to reflect current structure and processes|
|June 28, 2018||Cathy Carson||Align policy with provincial privacy legislation (MAESD requirement); Removed Access to Information – part of previously approved (March 2018) Access to Student Records policy; Added consent section (to be added to Michener forms); Clarified that academic records are retained in perpetuity; Added reference to Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation|