Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer Credit Policy
|Approval Date||June 15, 2017|
|Effective Date||September 5, 2017|
This policy applies to all full-time and part-time students in all programs in all settings.
The purpose of this policy is to outline the process for admitted students to apply for transfer credit for course work completed at another institution.
The term ‘transfer credit’ is used to describe credit for work successfully completed at other post-secondary institutions. By ‘transfer credit’ we mean a course, or courses, completed at another post-secondary institution, and credit given, that allow for entry into a semester while taking less than a complete course load. The term ‘transfer credit’ will be used for this policy.
A student admitted to a course of study at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN (Michener) is eligible to apply for credit for work successfully completed at other post-secondary institutions provided the course work meets the learning outcomes of the applicable Michener course. To ensure that a timely evaluation occurs students must submit all transfer credit paperwork outlined below at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the course.
- A transfer credit may be granted if:
- A student has had comparable education in a given subject matter within the past 5 year period, and the student has obtained at least a passing grade of B, or 2.70 as per the Ontario Medical Schools Application Service (OMSAS) undergraduate grading system conversion table,
- there is evidence of continued involvement with the subject discipline in the same or a related health science field or course of study.
- Michener does not award partial credit for any course of study.
- The Office of the Registrar will notify students in writing of their decision. The decision approved by the Program Chair is final.
- A student who has been granted a transfer credit may still audit the Michener course if they wish, provided they submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar on hearing the decision of their transfer credit request. Michener assesses a program tuition fee rather than a course by course fee so as long the student is enrolled in at least 60% of the normal full-time course load for their program, there will be no tuition fee refund if a transfer credit is granted.
- A grade of EQV will be assigned to students who are granted transfer credit. This grade will not have a grade point average (GPA) assigned, but will appear on the student’s record as a credit earned.
- A student who is granted a transfer credit in a program offered jointly between Michener and one of its university partners is not eligible for any refund of tuition fee for the program or any courses offered as part of the program.
- Exemption/Transfer Request Form
- INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH METHODS Transfer Credit Criteria
- OUAC – OMSAS Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table (available July 9, 2019)
|September 3, 2011||Pinar Peacock||Associated documentation inserted|
|April 2, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Streamline and improve process for students and faculty Changes include: - New/first year students required to submit their transfer credit paperwork 3 weeks prior to start of semester. Late acceptance students will receive exemptions from this policy. - Increase in Grade average requirements from C to B.|
|June 15, 2017||Wendy Pais||Removal of all references to advanced standing|