Fundamentals of Health Care
Program at a glance:
Credential Earned: DiplomaOSAP Eligible: To be confirmed – Application in progress and subject to OSAP approval
Program Length: 2 years / 4 semesters
Program Delivery: Online and In-Person based on course selection
Start Date: September 2023
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
About the Program
Designed to help fill the current and anticipated serious staffing shortages in our health care system, Michener’s Fundamentals of Health Care diploma program offers learners a self-paced, flexible and fully customizable program to explore and prepare them for careers across the health care spectrum. Whether graduates intend to work in a health care setting or enroll in further health education, this program provides pathways to a multitude of possibilities
Developed and offered in collaboration with University Health Network (UHN), this program can be taken full or part time. It consists of 20 courses, 8 of which are required, and students are given flexibility in the choice and sequence of the courses they take.
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN recognizes that knowledge, skills and competencies can be learned through education (formal and informal), employment and other life experiences. Prior Learning Assessment and recognition (PLAR) is available to students in this program.
For more information about the Fundamentals of Health Care program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consider this program if you are a/an:
- High school graduate with an interest in working in health care
- Student with some college or university experience, credentials or degrees with an interest in working in health care
- Student looking to upgrade their knowledge and skills to make them more prepared and competitive for other health care education programs
- Internationally-educated student who is seeking entry into Canada’s vast health care system
- Individual looking for a career change to meaningful positions in the health care sector
Over the course of four semesters, students will:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Canadian Heath Care System
- Understand concepts in anatomy and physiology
- Understand human body function in health and disease
- Develop team based written and verbal communication that supports the interprofessional health care team
- Understand and use medical terminology
- Discover a wide range of health professions and their role in delivering high quality patient care in a health care system
- Understand basic, supportive, and compassionate patient care
- Understand navigation and coordination of patient care across acute care and community care settings
- Develop Michener Competencies
- be collaborators who work effectively within teams and with patients
- be health system thinkers with an understanding of the healthcare eco system and the linkages to their practice or role
- be reflective in their practice, value professionalism, show empathy, think critically, and commit to lifelong learning and professional development
- be adaptable by responding to change and innovation within the health care system through emerging trends in their practice and the use of digital tools
- Entrance Scholarships are available for the Fundamentals of Health Care program.
- General Bursaries are available for those students with demonstrated financial need (such as OSAP).
Scholarship & Bursaries