Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP) FAQs

Q1. What is the OBPAP?

A1. The Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP) is a one-time bursary of up to $5,000 available to internationally trained professionals with financial need to cover tuition, books and equipment costs.

Q2. Who can apply for the OBPAP Bursary?

A2. The OBPAP Bursary is available to students who:

  • are a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or a Protected Person;
  • have resided in Ontario for at least 12 months before the start of the program;
  • have been accepted or registered in either the Medical Laboratory Sciences Bridging Program or the Radiological Technology Bridging Program;
  • are not currently receiving OSAP or funding from the Second Career program; and
  • have not received an OBPAP Bursary previous

Q3. Is there an advantage to submitting my application early?

A3. All applications from students who have been offered a seat in a Bridging Program will be assessed for financial need following the submission deadline and once funding from the government is confirmed. Applications from prospective students who have not been offered a seat in a Bridging Program will be returned to the applicant and will require resubmission once a seat is offered.

Q4. What is the best way to submit my application?

A4. The best way to submit your application is via online application, with all of your scanned documentation attached.

Q5. What kind of documents do I need to provide?

A5. This information is available on the first page of the OBPAP Application form under “Documentation Requirements”. Please provide all documentation requested. Incomplete applications will be returned.

Q6. What part of my utility bills should I submit?

A6. Utilities bills can include hydro, gas, water, telephone, internet, etc. Utility bills are required to confirm monthly expenses. Only provide the page of the bill that states the monthly total (do not submit telephone call logs or additional information.

Q7. What is meant by “Family Income”?

A7. Family Income refers to the combined income of you and your spouse from the previous year’s Notice of Assessment (NOA). If you do not submit your spouse’s income along with your own, your application will not be considered. If you do not have a spouse, you need only supply your own Notice of Assessment.

Q8. What is meant by “Government Income”?

A8. For the purposes of the OBPAP application, Government Income refers to any income that you receive from federal, provincial or municipal governments (e.g. Employment Insurance, (CERB, Ontario Disability Support Program, Ontario Works, Social Assistance, etc.).

Q9. Are students guaranteed OBPAP Bursary funding?

A9. Students are not guaranteed OBPAP Bursary funding. This funding is subject to confirmation by the Ministry each year and is granted to students who apply by the deadlines and demonstrate financial need.

Q10. When can I expect to receive my OBPAP Bursary funding? 

A10. This is dependent on when (and if) the province releases Bursary funding and if you demonstrate sufficient financial need to be granted an OBPAP Bursary. Students should plan to pay for the Bridging Program out of pocket in the event that funding is not granted.

Q11. Who should I contact with further questions about the OBPAP Bursary?

A11. Please contact the Financial Aid Officer via email at regoffice@michener.ca