The purpose of this certificate is to support Faculty throughout their teaching and learning journey at all levels of development. This certificate is also foundational for new Faculty and experienced Faculty interested in updating their teaching and learning theories and strategies.
A performance-based learning framework is used to deepen Faculty understanding and practice of educational principles and methods that enhance student learning experiences. Both courses in the TAC certificate are designed so participants can immediately transfer their learning to their classroom or online teaching environments.
The certificate is comprised of the following two (2) courses:
- Course 1: Fundamentals of Experiential Learning (continuous enrollment; online with some in-person coaching)
- Course 2: Fundamentals of Course Design and Delivery (continuous enrollment; fully online)
Consider this program is you:
- are an educator looking to further specialize and be challenged in your teaching and learning practice
- are eager and motivated to continue your development as an education professional
- have a passion for teaching and learning in the health professions
- are interested in applying for Michener Faculty promotion
Course 1: Fundamentals of Experiential Learning
The first course of the Teaching and Assessment Certificate (TAC) is offered in continuous format and delivered mostly online with some in-person coaching. This course will provide participants with the fundamental knowledge and skills required to safely and effectively facilitate and assess learning in laboratory and simulated health care environments. All course work – including five online modules, coaching sessions and assessments – will take approximately 20 hours to complete.
- Module 1: Introduction to Experiential Learning
- Module 2: Running the Action – Facilitating Simulation & Laboratory Activities
- Module 3: Working with Simulated Participants
- Module 4: Debriefing Simulation & Laboratory Activities
- Module 5: Performance-based Assessment
Course 2: Fundamentals of Course Design and Delivery
This course introduces participants to evidence-based teaching theory and practice with a focus on digital delivery. This is explored through the design of course competencies, learning objectives, assessments and learning plans. Participants will design their own course or make revisions to an existing course based on the principles of performance-based learning. Course work is comprised of eight (8) modules which will take approximately 30 hours to complete. While this course is entirely self-directed, participants can expect hands-on support throughout their learning experience. This course will support Faculty’s progression from Assistant to Associate professorship.
- Module 1: Teacher for learning (via eCampusOntario Extend)
- Module 2: Technologist (via eCampusOntario Extend)
- Module 3: Curator (via eCampusOntario Extend)
- Module 4: Collaborator (via eCampusOntario Extend)
- Module 5: Writing competencies and learning objectives
- Module 6: Creating performance assessment tasks
- Module 7: Creating your course outline
- Module 8: Designing a teaching and learning plan
Courses are delivered via continuous enrollment and can begin any time.
Note: Courses do not need to be taken sequentially, although we recommend completing them in order.
Michener’s Teaching and Assessment Certificate (TAC) is open to faculty at the Michener Institute of Education at UHN.
If you are a faculty member interested in any of the TAC courses, please contact email@example.com