If you have been a Canadian resident for less than 6 months, apply for your Police Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) from your home country. If you have resided in Canada for more than 6 months, apply for a VSC through your regional police.
Please be aware that as of March 1, 2011 a VSC now requires the submission of fingerprints whenever the gender and date of birth of an applicant match to an existing pardoned sex offender record. This is not an accusation of criminality, but a requirement for a thorough verification to confirm identity and protect personal privacy. This process will take at least four months (120 days).
For more information visit: Criminal record checks .
Police Departments for VSC
Always bring 2 pieces of government issued ID (at least 1 photo ID) when you APPLY IN-PERSON. Please note that you cannot apply in person with all departments; please check the application process specific to each location.
- Make sure to ask for a “vulnerable sector police check for unpaid students OR for volunteers”
- Pick up VSC Form from Health Services, Rm 1342, Monday-Friday between 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM or at the main reception desk in the front lobby.
Toronto Police Service
Website: Toronto Police Service
Address: 40 College St., Toronto ON (Yonge/College)
Phone: (416) 808-7991
- Can take 8 – 12 weeks to obtain.
- Mail-in Applications with certified cheque or money order for $20.00 Or hand in completed applications (including certified cheque/money order) at the VSC Requests “drop box” at 40 College St.
Any station in Durham Region except Sunderland & Uxbridge
Phone: (905) 579-1520 Ext. 4104
Website: Guelph Police
Address: 15Wyndham St. South, Guelph ON
Phone: (519) 824-1212 Ext. 7321
A number of locations provide the service
Phone: (905) 825-4712
Can take 3 weeks or longer to obtain (Applicant must apply in person).
Website: Kingston Police
Address: 705 Division, Kingston ON K7K 4C2
Phone: (613) 549-4660
Niagara Regional Police Service
Website: Niagara Regional Police Service
Address: Headquarters 5700 Valley Way Niagara Falls, ON L2E 1X8
- Can take 5 weeks or longer to obtain
- Applicants must submit their own applications either online or in person. Applicants applying in person must take 2 pieces of government issued identification. There’s an additional $9.95 fee for the online application
O.P.P (Ontario Provincial Police)
Website: O.P.P (Ontario Provincial Police)
Can take 2 weeks or longer (Applicant must apply in person).
- OPP Security Enquiries Unit – 777 Memorial Ave.,3rd Fl, OriIlia ON
Phone: (705) 329-6833
- OPP Sudbury Detachment – 3767 Hwy. 69S, McFarlane Lake Complex, Sudbury ON P3G 1E3
Phone: (705) 564-6900
- OPP Thunder Bay Detachment – 3267 Hwy. 130 RR #2, Thunder Bay ON P7C 4Vl
Phone: (807) 939-2133
- OPP Sault Ste. Marie Detachment – 742 Great Northern Road, Sault Ste. Marie ON P6A 5K7
Phone: (705) 945-6797
Ottawa Police Service
Website: Ottawa Police Service
Address: PO Box 9634, Station T, Ottawa ON KlG 6H5
Phone: (613) 236-1222, TIY: (613) 232-1123
- Can take 2 weeks or longer to obtain
- Applicant must apply in person. Form can be obtained from website prior to applying in person.
Website: Peel Police
Address: 7750 Hurontario St., Brampton ON L6V 3W6
Phone: (905) 453-3311
Can take 3-8 weeks to obtain (Applicant must apply in person).
York Region Police
Website: York Region Police
Address: 47 Don Hillock Dr., Aurora ON L4H 057
Community Resource Centre – 10720 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill ON
Can take up to 2 weeks to obtain (Applicant must apply in person).
Please note: Students who live outside of Ontario will need to obtain the Vulnerable Sector Check from their regional police service in the location in which they reside.