Student Readmission Policy
Student Readmission Policy
|Approval Date||July 14, 2014|
|Effective Date||September 2, 2014|
Students who have not attended The Michener Institute for one or more semesters due to academic suspension must file an application for readmission within the timeframe outlined at the time the student received their formal notice of suspension.
This policy is to clarify the current Academic Standing policy as it relates specifically to a student choosing to reapply to the same program of study. This does not affect students who have interrupted their studies due to a temporary leave of absence. Students may only reapply to The Michener Institute once if they have been suspended and we must ensure that any prior issues relating to a lack of academic progress are addressed prior to allowing students to return. To qualify for readmission to The Michener Institute, an applicant must have approval from the Admissions Office
- When a student has been placed on Academic suspension, the terms for being allowed to readmit to Michener are contained in letters sent to the student by the Academic Chair and the Registrar. Copies of these letters are kept on file as part of the student’s record.
- The Admissions Office will review the candidate’s application for readmission to ensure all conditions for readmission have been met by set deadlines and a non-refundable deposit of $500 has been received.
- If applying to enter a different program of study, the candidate must apply through the Ontario Colleges Application Service as a year 1 student. The candidate will be assessed and ranked along with all others in the incoming cohort. The student’s performance at the Michener Institute will be taken into consideration when assessed for admission to any other Michener program after suspension. Admission is not guaranteed for a student choosing to reapply to an alternate program choice.
- If approved by the Admissions Office, a student may be allowed to readmit after having been placed on academic suspension. The student will be placed on academic Probation II and will be subject to The Michener Institute’s Academic Standing Policy.
A student who applies for re-admission is not guaranteed he/she will be successful in gaining admission. Each student’s circumstances are different and as such each case is viewed independently. By confirming all conditions of readmission have been fulfilled, readmission will be granted. If a student is successful in their application for re-admission, a Learning Plan II will be developed by the student’s Program Communications Liaison (PCL) and his/her Academic Chair.
To be considered for re-admission, students must submit an application for readmission by the deadline set out in their letter of suspension. This will enable the Admissions Office to review the original documentation outlining the terms of suspension and the conditions for readmission.
- Academic Standing Policy
- Application for Readmission Form
- Student File (from the Office of the Registrar)
- Promotions Review Committee Terms of Reference
|Date||Reviewer||Change(s) Made||Policy Location(s)|
|February 23, 2011||Bill Pitman||Document Revised|
|March 21, 2011||Academic Approval Council||Approved|
|July 5, 2012||Academic Approval Council||Approved|
|July 14, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Streamline process; build in communication consistency and accuracy between Chairs and students; implement non-refundable deposit of $500|