Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support for Experienced Provider
Please see chart below for upcoming dates and fee
1 day -9am-5pm
Dr Marcos Silva, MD FRCPC -Medical Director
Course Overview and Design:
Scientific evidence has pointed the way toward better content, while educational research has led to improved design of the ACLS EP Course. Both the design and content of the Heart & Stroke ACLS EP Course are evidence based.
The ACLS EP Course emphasizes 4 major concepts:
- The crucial importance of high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to patient survival
- The integration of effective BLS with ACLS interventions
- The importance of effective team interaction and communication during resuscitation
- Critical thinking and critical decision-making skills
The course is designed to give learners the opportunity to practice and demonstrate proficiency in the following skills used in resuscitation:
- Systematic approach: BLS, Primary, and Secondary Assessments
- High-quality BLS
- Airway management
- Rhythm recognition
- Intravenous/intraosseous access (information only)
- Use of medications
- Transcutaneous pacing
- Team resuscitation concept (Team Leader and team member)
The course is also designed to discuss the following categories of cases through critical thinking and critical decision-making:
- Post–cardiac arrest care
- Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular emergencies
- Clinical pharmacology and toxicology emergencies
- Respiratory and metabolic emergencies
This course is designed for seasoned ACLS providers who wish to renew their provider status by using critical decision-making strategies. Physicians and other healthcare professionals who respond to complex cardiovascular, respiratory, and other emergencies are encouraged to attend.
Learners are strongly encouraged to evaluate their knowledge and skill level before the course. The ACLS EP Course is designed to challenge learners in an interactive format, which requires a comprehensive understanding of ACLS algorithms and practice skills.
Course emphasis is at the Team Leader level, and minimal time is devoted to didactic material (ie, lectures). A learner who is not up-to-date with the current ACLS materials will have a difficult time keeping up with colleagues.
All students who meet the prerequisites and successfully pass the ACLS EP course will receive a course completion card. Receipt of a course completion card does not grant permission to practice the skills learned.
- A current Heart & Stroke BLS course completion card ( taken within 12 months and current to the most recent Guidelines)- email copy required 2 weeks prior to course attendance.
- A current Heart & Stroke ACLS course completion card (taken within the last 24 months and current to the most recent Guidelines)- email copy required 2 weeks prior to course attendance.
- All ACLS EP students must successfully complete the online ACLS EP Entrance Exam with a minimum score of 84%, and provide a copy of the exam results to the Course coordinator at the beginning of the course.
Students are given direction on how to access the Student website in their ACLS EP Provider Manual and Resource Text (Page ii). The student website provides important supplementary information and videos, a link to the Precourse Self- Assessment (Optional), and the link to purchase and take the ACLS EP Entrance Exam. The mandatory ACLS EP Entrance Exam requires a passing score of 84% or higher to print the certificate. Students will have 2 attempts to complete the exam with each purchase of the ACLS EP Entrance Exam key.
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support for Experienced Provider – RS818
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination (2 doses) for all learners is required for all onsite attendance at Michener. Fully online courses do not require proof of vaccination.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.