Critical Care Nursing Boot Camp Course
- Online self study modules – approximately 60 hours of online work and study
- Online modules and all online assessments must be completed prior to attending the mandatory workshop
- In person 7 hour workshop – held at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
6 weeks online plus 1 day in person workshop
Klara Malkova, RN, MEd, CNCC(C)
- Demonstrate how to organize at the beginning of a clinical shift
- Apply knowledge of A & P and pharmacology to summarize their patient’s admitting diagnosis and course of hospital care
- Interpret foundational cardiac rhythms, identify significance and select appropriate interventions
- Perform a focused physical assessment, recognizing normal and abnormal findings
- Formulate a care plan including nursing priorities for a high-acuity patient
- Synthesize relevant patient information to provide a nursing report
- Assessments at the end of each online module/subject area
- In person workshop facilitated by Critical Care RN where skills and critical thinking will be evaluated
This course is designed to bridge entry-to-practice level nurses (RNs) into high acuity care settings. Nurses will be provided opportunities to expand their foundation of key skills that will support them towards success in working in a high acuity unit and preparation for critical care nursing training. Not suitable for RPNs.
Spring/Summer Course 1 ~ April 24 – June 2, 2023
- Workshop date: Friday, June 2, 2023, 8am-4pm
- Register by: Thursday, April 20, 2023
Spring/Summer Course 2 ~ June 12 – July 21, 2023
- Workshop date: Friday, July 21, 2023, 8am-4pm
- Register by: Thursday, June 8, 2023
All workshop details will be provided (room locations, times etc.) prior to the scheduled workshop date.
Disclaimer: Please note The Michener Institute of Education at UHN reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a course or workshop due to low enrollment and or instructor availability.
1. Valid Certificate of Competence to practice nursing in Ontario – RN
2. Legal ability to work in Canada
The course consists of an online and workshop component. The online component will build a solid knowledge base and assess comprehension.
Online Areas of Focus:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Rhythm Interpretation
- Physical Assessment
- Critical Thinking
The 7-hour in person workshop will focus on bringing all knowledge and skills together within the context of building critical thinking skills.
Critical Care Nursing Boot Camp – CCNF100
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
Instructions to upload proof of COVID vaccination to Self Service
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.