Diabetes Management in Children and Adolescents
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
$499 domestic / $748.50 international
Approximately 12 weeks.
Bev Harris PDt , CDE
Students in the Diabetes Management in Children and Adolescents course will explore the period from diagnosis in a child through to adolescent development. Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2) in children and adolescents, its development, progression and management.
- Explore rarer forms of diabetes, including neonatal onset diabetes, Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth (MODY), and diabetes associated with childhood conditions such as: cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, Down Syndrome, and serious eating disorders.
- Communication techniques to effectively communicate education and behaviour change strategies and how to apply them with children and adolescents with diabetes, their families and support persons.
- Explore psychosocial influences and issues as well as nutrition methods with children and adolescents with diabetes.
Diabetes Management in Children and Adolescents, updated to meet the 2018 Diabetes Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines, is designed to provide you with the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and explore the complexities of diabetes management and education of children, adolescents and their families.
|Evaluation Item||Due Date|
|Online discussions||Week 3-5
|Case Conference||Week 6-7|
|Online written assignment||Week 11|
|Web-based Final Examination||Week 12|
This course is for all practicing health professionals with knowledge of diabetes and its management, looking to explore diabetes management in children and adolescents. This course will help build on basic knowledge already in place.
- Working knowledge of basic diabetes care and management
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|DE801-FY1||Diabetes Management in Children & Adolescents||Online||$499.00||Nov-12-2018 to Feb-24-2019||Nov-02-2018||Closed|