Intensive Insulin Management
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
$599 domestic / $898 international
Approximately 12 weeks.
Karen Blekaitis RD, CDE
Students in the Intensive Insulin Management course will enhance their knowledge of current insulin therapies used by people with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Upon completion of the course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of:
- Initiation of insulin therapy, titration and pattern management
- Oral hypoglycemic agent adjustment with the initiation of insulin
- The addition of prandial insulin to basal insulin for those with type 2 diabetes
- Demonstrate knowledge of intensive insulin therapy for those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes – including starting and adjusting Carbohydrate to Insulin Ratios and Correction Factors
- Demonstrate understanding of how to use the newest technologies that support diabetes management such as the insulin pump, continuous glucose monitor and glucose flash monitoring system
- Demonstrate knowledge of advanced topics such as: adjustments for travel and steroids, sick day management and fasting for a procedure
Interactive case studies will assist in the practical application of the course content.
|Evaluation Item||Due Date|
|Case conferences – Part 1||Week 3-5|
|Case conferences – Part 2||Week 7-9|
|Online written assignment||Week 10|
|Web-based Final Examination||Week 12|
Practicing health professionals with knowledge of diabetes and its management. This is an intermediate level course that will build on knowledge already in place.
Start Date: January 16, 2023
End Date: April 9, 2023
Register By: January 6, 2023
- Working knowledge of diabetes care and management
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
Intensive Insulin Management – DE807
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
Instructions to upload proof of COVID vaccination to Self Service
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.