Intensive Insulin Management
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
$599 domestic / $898 international
Erin Currie, BN NP CDE (Fall) / Michele Smith RN, CDE (Winter)
Students in the Intensive Insulin Management course will enhance their knowledge of current insulin therapies used by people with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Upon completion of the course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of:
- Initiation of insulin therapy, titration and pattern management
- Oral hypoglycemic agent adjustment with the initiation of insulin
- The addition of prandial insulin to basal insulin for those with type 2 diabetes
- Demonstrate knowledge of intensive insulin therapy for those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes – including starting and adjusting Carbohydrate to Insulin Ratios and Correction Factors
- Demonstrate understanding of how to use the newest technologies that support diabetes management such as the insulin pump, continuous glucose monitor and glucose flash monitoring system
- Demonstrate knowledge of advanced topics such as: adjustments for travel and steroids, sick day management and fasting for a procedure
Interactive case studies will assist in the practical application of the course content.
|Evaluation Item||Due Date|
|Case conferences – Part 1||Week 3-5|
|Case conferences – Part 2||Week 7-9|
|Online written assignment||Week 10|
|Web-based Final Examination||Week 12|
Practicing health professionals with knowledge of diabetes and its management. This is an intermediate level course that will build on knowledge already in place.
Start Date: January 22, 2024
End Date: April 21, 2024
Register By: January 14, 2024
- Working knowledge of diabetes care and management
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
A nurse for over 30 years, Chantal has worked in mental health, research, oncology and now, diabetes care. She graduated from the Diabetes Educator Certificate Program in 2019, but pursued the Intensive Insulin Management course for better career opportunities.
“The Diabetes Educator’s program was a fantastic overview and gives good background information,” she explains. “But in terms of the current population of patients I work with, I would have been at a severe disadvantage without the knowledge from the Insulin Management course.”
Intensive Insulin Management – DE807
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination (2 doses) for all learners is required for all onsite attendance at Michener. Fully online courses do not require proof of vaccination.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.