Mental Health Nursing Certificate Program
Online modules and weekly virtual sessions
Aideen Carroll, RN, BScN, BSc, MA, CPMHN (C)
Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication with patients.
- Complete a suicide risk assessment and a mental health status assessment for a patient.
- Explain the symptoms and treatment for patients at risk of suicide and/or with mental health conditions.
- Apply best practices in healthcare to nursing care plan for patients at risk of suicide and/or with mental health conditions.
- Recognize personal/societal biases and misconceptions about mental health conditions that affect patient well-being when they come up in patient-care conversations.
This 10-week course will focus on the foundations of nursing care for patients with mental health conditions. We aim to prepare students for the CNA mental health nursing exam and for providing well- informed, patient-centered nursing care to patients with mental health needs.
Midterm Written Assessment
The written assessment will be a multiple-choice test completed online through Blackboard. The questions on this test will come from past CNA mental health nursing exams or be similar to those questions. This assessment will cover topics in modules 1 – 5.
Final Written Assessment
The written assessment will be a multiple-choice test completed online through Blackboard. The questions on this test will come from past CNA mental health nursing exams or be similar to those questions. This assessment will cover topics in modules 6 – 9.
Intended for :
- Nurses intending to write the CNA exam for Mental Health Nursing
- Nurses who are looking to deepen their understanding of best practices providing mental health nursing care
This course is available for individual registration as well as hospital sponsorship.
Inquiries please email: email@example.com
Course Start Date: September 25, 2023
Registration Deadline: September 17, 2023
Course Start Date: February 12, 2024
Registration Deadline: February 4, 2024
Course Start Date: June 10, 2024
Registration Deadline: June 2, 2024
**Please note these dates are subject to change
Valid Certificate of Competence to practice nursing
Legal ability to work in Canada
- Module 1- The Therapeutic Relationship
- Module 2- Mental Status Examination & Suicide Assessment
- Module 3- Depression
- Module 4- Bipolar Disorder
- Module 5- Schizophrenia
- Module 6- Eating Disorders
- Module 7- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Module 8- Anxiety
- Module 9- Delirium and Dementia
- Module 10- Review
Mental Health Nursing Certificate Program MHNU100
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination (2 doses) for all learners is required for all onsite attendance at Michener. Fully online courses do not require proof of vaccination.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.