Michener English Language Assessment
Bruce Russell, B.A., B.Mus., CTESL, M.Ed. (OISE)
- Students applying for admission to the Michener Institute
- Health professionals fulfilling the language requirement for professional certification.
The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA – LANG100) measures English language proficiency based on communication that is typical in health care education or practice settings. The test is referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), a Canadian framework for English language proficiency. MELA scores are used by post-secondary institutions and regulatory bodies as approved and acceptable demonstration of communicative competence to study or practice.
Please note: A participant may only attempt the MELA test up to a maximum of 3 times.
For additional information and samples of the test visit The MELA website .
The assessment takes approximately 4 hours and scores are reported in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
Wednesday Dates – between 5:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. (Toronto – Eastern Time)
Saturday Dates – between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Toronto – Eastern Time)
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN (conveniently located by St. Patrick Subway Station)
222 St. Patrick Street
Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1V4
Reception will direct you to the test room location. Please arrive on time for your sign-in.
Transfers, Withdrawals, Refunds, and Appeals
For information on transfers, withdrawals, refunds and appeals, please refer to our Continuing Education Policy.
COVID-19: Health & Safety
Michener will actively be screening all MELA participants upon arrival. Participants must comply with social distancing measures and wear a face mask at all times. In addition, to minimize time spent indoors on your MELA test date, the MELA Speaking Test interview will be conducted online at a later date – typically by next day. Additional information will be provided to all registrants.
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.