Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Recertification
please see table below
Dr. Marcos Silva, MD, FRCPC (Medical Director)
Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize and initiate early management of periarrest conditions that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcome
- Demonstrate proficiency in providing BLS care, including prioritizing chest compressions and integrating automated external defibrillator (AED) use
- Recognize and manage respiratory arrest
- Recognize and manage cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including immediate post-cardiac arrest care
- Recognize and initiate early management of ACS, including appropriate disposition
- Recognize and initiate early management of stroke, including appropriate disposition
- Demonstrate effective communication as a member or leader of a resuscitation team and recognize the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance
- Hands-on skills practice
- Practical skills testing
- Written evaluation
Healthcare professions responding to cardiopulmonary emergencies and working in critical care environments; such as physicians, nurses, respiratory technologists, paramedics.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been approved for MAINPRO+ Certified Group Learning Activity Category credits. Please see CFPC for details.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) and has been approved for MOC, Section 2 . Please contact RCPSC for details.
Funding maybe available for RNAO members. Please contact RNAO for information.
This course is also available by contract for on-site delivery. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- HSF BLS Provider Card issued within the previous 12 months (mandatory). We cannot accept BLS cards issued by organizations other than Heart and Stroke. HSF BLS card must be submitted prior to attending the ACLS course. If you do not have a HSF BLS card (issued within the previous 12 months) you will not be allowed to attend the course.If you wish to register for a BLS course please see link to: BLS Course The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
- HSF ACLS Provider card issued within previous 24 months (mandatory). Previous ACLS card must be submitted prior to attending ACLS recertification course.
- Able to identify ECG rhythms
- Knowledge of primary pharmacology specific to cardiopulmonary emergencies
- Registration with Heart and Stroke for your Heart and Stroke ID number- if you do not have a HSF#/account already.
- Completion of ACLS pre course test. Must be presented at the course.
Note: Heart and Stroke criteria for taking ACLS state that you must have successfully completed a HSF BLS Provider course in accordance with current guidelines, be actively using BLS skills on a regular basis and demonstrate competence in performing CPR.
Textbook: Not included in course fee. ACLS Provider Manual (2015), and HSFC Handbook of Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers (2015), available from Training Materials HSF Courses .
Registration does not guarantee success.
The most common reason(s) that students are unsuccessful are either lack of preparation prior to the ACLS course and or lack of ECG interpretation skills. Registration in this course does not guarantee success. In the event that you are not successful, the Course Director will recommend at the end of the course that you repeat an entire classroom session on another date (you will be responsible for the entire tuition fee). Unsuccessful participants will not receive a refund of course fees.
Disclaimer: Please note you will be tested on the information that can be found in the 2015 Edition ACLS Manual. The link provided to the ECG STAT test is an additional study resource and does not replace the 2015 Edition ACLS Manual (required reading).
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|RS812-Y01||Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Recertification held at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN- 9am-5pm||Workshop||$299.00||Sep-26-2020 to Sep-26-2020||Open|
|RS812-Y03||Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Recertification held at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN- 9am-5pm||Workshop||$299.00||Nov-22-2020 to Nov-22-2020||Open|
|RS812-Y05||Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Recertification held at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN- 9am-5pm||Workshop||$299.00||Jan-16-2021 to Jan-16-2021||Open|
|RS812-Y07||Workshop||$299.00||Mar-27-2021 to Mar-27-2021||Open|
|RS812-Y09||Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Recertification||Workshop||$299.00||May-29-2021 to May-29-2021||Open|