Diabetes 101: Introduction to Diabetes
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
$419 domestic / $628.50 international
Approximately 10 weeks.
Bev Harris PDt , CDE
Students in the Diabetes 101 course will focus on the basics of diabetes and the proper techniques and methods to support the person with diabetes. Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of diabetes, its development, progression and management throughout the life stages.
- Demonstrate effective communication with people with diabetes, their families or support persons, and colleagues.
- Demonstrate knowledge of education and behaviour change theories.
Diabetes 101: Introduction to Diabetes, recently updated to meet the 2018 Diabetes Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines, is designed to provide you with the opportunity to learn the basics of diabetes and how a health professional or non-health professional can support the person with diabetes. You will explore topics from the psychological and nutritional aspects of diabetes to exercise and oral medications for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Assigned readings are coupled with interactive seminars conducted online every week by an experienced Certified Diabetes Educator.
|Evaluation Item||Due Date|
|7 Weekly Online Assessments||Weeks 2-8|
|Final Online Assessment||Week 9|
This course is open to all individuals wishing for a general introduction to diabetes: medical technicians, personal support workers, family members / lay carers of people with diabetes, and other health professionals (including those not registered or licensed with a regulatory body in Canada).
Start Date: April 4, 2022
End Date: June 12, 2022
Register By: March 25, 2022
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
- What is Diabetes?
- Psychological Aspects
- Exercise & Oral Medications
- Hypoglycemia & Hyperglycemia
- Chronic Complications
Diabetes 101: Introduction to Diabetes – DE806
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.