Mental Health First Aid- Basic- New online virtual workshop
Virtual delivery of this workshop held 2 consecutive Saturdays.
Please see fee below
Virtual (online) 2 day workshop (held over 2 consecutive Saturdays) - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Christina Yurchuk B. Ed, M. Ed
In the Mental Health First Aid Basic course, you will gain a solid understanding of the 5 basic actions of ALGEE:
Assess the risk of suicide and/or harm
Encourage professional support
Encourage other supports
ALGEE is the framework for having a confident conversation about mental health with family, friends, colleagues, and strangers.
International evaluations and feedback have found the following outcomes for participants undertaking a Mental Health First Aid Basic course:
- Increased awareness of signs and symptoms of the most common mental health problems
- Decreased stigma related to mental health
- Increased confidence interacting with individuals experiencing a mental health problem or crisis
- Increased help actually provided to individuals in crisis or experiencing a mental health problem
This workshop will be delivered virtually (online) over 2 consecutive Saturdays. One week before the course you will receive all login information and details to access the workshop online. Please see pre requisite information for minimum computer system requirements.
MHFA Basic is intended for adults interacting with adults (18 years and older). This course focuses on the four most common mental health disorders including substance related, mood related, anxiety and trauma related, and psychotic disorders. Participants who take this course are well prepared to interact confidently about mental health with their family, friends, communities, and workplaces.
Please see link to : Mental Health Commission of Canada for further information
Please note employees of The Michener Institute of Education at UHN may be able to apply PD Funds. For more information please contact your Manager or Human Resources Professional.
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
- Mental Health and Stigma
- Substance related disorders
- Mood related disorders
- Anxiety and trauma related disorders
- Psychotic disorders
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|MHFA110-F01||Mental Health First Aid- Basic- Virtual delivery takes place 2 consecutive Saturdays||Workshop||$229.00||Nov-21-2020 to Nov-28-2020||Open|