Pediatric Advanced Life Support Recertification – BLS Renewal Dual Certification
Dr. Marcos Silva, MD, FRCPC (Medical Director)
This highly interactive course uses case presentations and the simulation centre to provide practical application of the required skills taught. The value of working in interprofessional teams is emphasized, offering you large and small group discussions and evaluation stations based on simulation.
Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify and treat problems that place the child at risk of cardiac arrest
- Apply a systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Use the “evaluate-identify-intervene” sequence
- Use PALS algorithms and flowcharts
- Demonstrate effective resuscitation team dynamics
- Written evaluation
- Hands-on skills practice- using APP- heartisense student as feedback mechanism throughout course.
- Practical skills testing
Registration does not guarantee success.
The most common reason(s) that students are unsuccessful are either lack of preparation prior to the PALS course and or lack of ECG interpretation skills. Registration in this course does not guarantee success. In the event that you are not successful, the Course Director will recommend at the end of the course that you repeat an entire classroom session on another date (you will be responsible for the entire tuition fee). Unsuccessful participants will not receive a refund of course fees.
Disclaimer: Please note you will be tested on the information that can be found in the PALS Manual. The link provided to the ECG STAT test is an additional study resource and does not replace the PALS Manual (required reading).
Healthcare professionals responding to pediatric cardiopulmonary emergencies and working in pediatric critical care environments; such as physicians, nurses, respiratory technologists and paramedics. This course is designed for those who have pediatric work experience. If you do not have pediatric work experience or are currently training to work in a pediatric environment, it is highly recommended that you take Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization – PEARS (RS827) first before enrolling in PALS.
This course is also available by contract for on-site delivery. Please email email@example.com for information.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and has been approved for MAINPRO+ Certified Group Learning Activity Category credits. Please see CFPC for details.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) and has been approved for MOC, Section 2 credits. Please contact RCPSC for details.
Funding maybe available for RNAO members. Please contact RNAO for information.
Please note : this course is a dual certification- BLS renewal and PALS Provider. You must attend all components of the course.
BLS Renewal Prerequisites:
- Textbook: Not included in course fee. BLS Providers 2020 manual (RE3410), which is available at: University of Toronto bookstore or Training Materials HSF Courses .
- Download free APP: heartisense student required.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS completion card (taken within the last 12 months, current to the most recent Guidelines release). If your BLS card has expired or was issued by another organization other than HSF you may still attend the course if you complete the HSF online BLS Challenge and bring the challenge certificate to the course. The challenge certificate is valid for 90 days.
- To access the HSF BLS online challenge log into your HSF account /portal , under Training Resources Tab you will see the link to BLS Challenge.
- It is critical that learners come prepared. The BLS Renewal course is fast-paced, assumes learners have retained the cognitive knowledge and can demonstrate skills mastery. there will be limited practice and limited opportunities for remedial coaching.
- Learners who are not successful in passing the skills test or knowledge test will have to take a full BLS Provider course.
- Able to identify ECG rhythms -for those who wish to review/test their ECG interpretation skills please go to ECG STAT Test
- Textbook: PALS Provider Manual (2020), and HSFC Handbook of Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers (2020), available from Training Materials HSF Courses , or University of Toronto bookstore.
- Download free APP: heartisense student required.
- Knowledge of primary pharmacology specific to cardiopulmonary emergencies
- Registration with Heart and Stroke Foundation for your Heart and Stroke Id Number -if you do not have a HSF#/account already.
- Presentation of your previous HSF PALS card issued with 24 months.
- Completion of PALS Pre Course Test . Must be presented at the course.
Please note: Heart and Stroke criteria for taking PALS state that you must have successfully completed a HSF BLS Provider course within the previous 12 months in accordance with current guidelines, be actively using BLS skills on a regular basis and demonstrate competence in performing CPR.
RS834 – Pediatric Advanced Life Support Recertification (BLS Renewal Dual Certification)
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.