Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS)
7 hours (8:00 am - 4:00 pm)
Dr. Marcos Silva , MD, FRCPC (Medical Director)
Hands-on experience and video based simulation help the student to develop the skills necessary in recognizing pediatric distress, with the focus on children with potentially life threatening conditions.
Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the “assess-categorize-decide-act” approach
- Explain the purpose and components of the general assessment (pediatric assessment triangle)
- Summarize the ABCDE components of the primary assessment
- Explain the implications of clinical findings during the general and primary assessments
- Evaluate respiratory and/or circulatory problems using the ABCDE model
- Decide if a child has a life-threatening condition
- Written evaluation
- Hands-on skills practice- using free APP- heartisense student as feedback mechanism throughout course
- Practical skills evaluation
Healthcare professionals (medical/nursing/paramedic students, residents) with limited medical experience with children.
Please note this course is available by contract for on site delivery , please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Heart and Stroke (HSF) BLS Provider Card issued within the previous 12 months (mandatory). We cannot accept BLS cards issued by organizations other than Heart and Stroke (HSF). HSF BLS card must be presented prior to attending the PEARS course. If you do not have a current (issued within 12 months) HSF BLS card you will not be able to attend the course you have registered for. To register for a HSF BLS course please see link: HSF BLS Provider Course
- Text book: New PEARS 7th edition manual RE711OE or digital edition RE7110ED available on the Heart and Stroke web site under Shop for Training Materials
- Review PEARS student web site self-assessment videos and tools -available on the Heart and Stroke web site under Training Resources Tab.
- Register with Heart and Stroke for your HSF ID# ( if you do not have a current account/ID)
- Download free APP: heartisense student required.
RS827 – Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS)
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
Instructions to upload proof of COVID vaccination to Self Service
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.