Situational Awareness and Verbal De-escalation-New online virtual sessions
Domestic $119 , International $179, UHN employees please email email@example.com
Aideen Carroll, Brittany Jenkins and Antonia Purdy
This workshop will empower frontline healthcare professionals to manage escalating or threatening situations in a manner that will prevent harm to themselves or their patients. In this 4 hour session you will learn effective strategies for de-escalating a situation, including the three domains of situational awareness , the ten domains of verbally de-escalating an agitated person and communication intervention techniques.
Upon successful completion of the workshop activities, the learner will be able to:
- Define “situational awareness”
- Identify the three domains of “situational awareness”
- Apply the three domains of “situational awareness” to daily practice
- Identify the ten domains of Verbal De-escalation
- Describe “active listening” and communication techniques
Frontline healthcare professions and administrative staff who interact directly with patients.
UHN employees please email : firstname.lastname@example.org (using your UHN email) to register.
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
What our learners had to say about Situational Awareness and Verbal De-escalation (SAWA100)!
“I think this workshop should be offered multiple times a year, and made mandatory for anyone working with patients and families. The de-escalation skills are very important and can make a big difference in the outcome of a situation”
“Excellent coverage and tips provided!”
“Truly an exceptional team teaching a very important skills for each one of us. Kudos!”
“Both [facilitators] were very knowledgeable and able to provide answers in a way that was easy to understand”
“With regards to the question: The facilitator(s) created a safe, non-judgmental learning environment, one participants left a comment stating “They were excellent in this regard”
“Examples from the class enhanced the experience”
“Both facilitators were very experienced and the examples they provided made the material come to life”
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.