Introduction to Clinical Molecular Diagnostic Testing and Viruses
Online- log in information will be emailed within 3 business days of registration.
Domestic: $549 International: $715
Jean Paul Nadeau MSc, MLT
At the conclusion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Examine and distinguish clinical and research laboratory environments in Ontario.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic molecular biology theory including virus biology, with a focus on coronaviruses.
- Summarize the steps in preparing a specimen for PCR and real-time PCR testing.
- Understand how to perform and troubleshoot nucleic acid extraction, PCR and real-time PCR results.
- Recognize and understand the importance of automation in clinical laboratories.
- Micropipette with accuracy and precision.
Online quizzes and final exam.
MLA’s, MLT’s, Science grads, researchers
This course will provide an introduction to clinical laboratories and clinical laboratory testing, with a focus on coronavirus diagnostic testing. Content includes basic molecular biology theory and techniques, with a focus on viral molecular biology and viral nucleic acid testing. Students will learn about clinical diagnostic testing of coronavirus samples from sample receipt through to quality control and troubleshooting of real-time PCR results. These include specimen preparation, nucleic acid extraction, and real-time PCR.
Introduction to Clinical Molecular Diagnostic Testing and Viruses – UCDF110
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.