Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
Please see table below- Tuition Reduced
14 hours (8:00 am-5:00 pm both days)
Dr. Marcos Silva, MD, FRCPC (Medical Director)
This highly interactive course uses case presentations and the simulation centre to provide practical application of the required skills taught. The value of working in interprofessional teams is emphasized, offering you large and small group discussions and evaluation stations based on simulation.
Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
• Identify and treat problems that place the child at risk of cardiac arrest
• Apply a systematic approach to pediatric assessment
• Use the “evaluate-identify-intervene” sequence
• Use PALS algorithms and flowcharts
• Demonstrate effective resuscitation team dynamics
• Written evaluation
• Hands-on skills practice
• Practical skills testing
Healthcare professionals responding to pediatric cardiopulmonary emergencies and working in pediatric critical care environments; such as physicians, nurses, respiratory technologists and paramedics. This course is designed for those who have pediatric work experience. If you do not have pediatric work experience or are currently training to work in a pediatric environment, it is highly recommended that you take Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization – PEARS (RS827) first before enrolling in PALS.
This course is also available by contract for on-site delivery. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and has been approved for MAINPRO+ Certified Group Learning Activity Category credits. Please see CFPC for details.
This course meets the accreditation criteria of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) and has been approved for MOC, Section 2 credits. Please contact RCPSC for details.
Funding maybe available for RNAO members.Please contact RNAO for information.
• HSF BLS Provider Card issued within the previous 12 months (mandatory).We cannot accept BLS cards issued by organizations other than Heart and Stroke. You will be required to submit your HSF BLS card prior to attending the PALS course. If you do not have a current HSF BLS card you will not be able to attend the course you have registered for. If you wish to register for a HSF BLS course please see link to : BLS Course The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
• Able to identify ECG rhythms -for those who wish to review/test their ECG interpretation skills please go to ECG STAT Test
• Knowledge of primary pharmacology specific to cardiopulmonary emergencies
• Registration with Heart and Stroke Foundation for your Heart and Stroke Id Number -if you do not have a HSF#/account already.
• Completion of PALS Pre Course Test . Must be presented at the course.
Please note: Heart and Stroke criteria for taking PALS state that you must have successfully completed a HSF BLS Provider course within the previous 12 months in accordance with current guidelines, be actively using BLS skills on a regular basis and demonstrate competence in performing CPR.
Textbook: PALS Provider Manual (2015), and HSFC Handbook of Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers (2015), available from Training Materials HSF Courses , or University of Toronto bookstore.
Registration does not guarantee success.
The most common reason(s) that students are unsuccessful are either lack of preparation prior to the PALS course and or lack of ECG interpretation skills. Registration in this course does not guarantee success. In the event that you are not successful, the Course Director will recommend at the end of the course that you repeat an entire classroom session on another date (you will be responsible for the entire tuition fee). Unsuccessful participants will not receive a refund of course fees.
Disclaimer: Please note you will be tested on the information that can be found in the PALS Manual. The link provided to the ECG STAT test is an additional study resource and does not replace the PALS Manual (required reading).
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|RS814-Y08||Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) 8am-5pm, Room TBA||Workshop||$399.00||Apr-06-2019 to Apr-07-2019||Open|
|RS814-Y09||Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) 8am-5pm, Room TBA||Workshop||$399.00||May-25-2019 to May-26-2019||Open|
|RS814-Y011||Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) 8am-5pm, Room TBA||Workshop||$399.00||Jul-13-2019 to Jul-14-2019||Open|
|RS814-Y012||Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) 8am-5pm, Room TBA||Workshop||$399.00||Aug-24-2019 to Aug-25-2019||Open|