International FAQs

International FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Application and Admissions

Who is considered to be an international student?

Students who are a resident or citizen of another country other than Canada.

If you apply as an international student and accept an international seat and your status changes to Permanent Resident (PR) during the application process, the student will be required to pay International Fees for 1 academic year.

What is your English proficiency requirement? Do I have to have TOEFL or IELTS to apply?

Since all lectures, seminars, and clinical laboratory sessions are conducted in English, an adequate knowledge of written and spoken English is essential for student success. Please refer to our ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS.

If I graduated from high school in Canada or another English-speaking country, do I still need TOEFL or IELTS?

If you graduated from high school in Canada you do not have to submit either TOEFL or IELTS.   If you are an international student in Canada and have completed two years of full-time post secondary education you do not have to submit TOEFL/IELTS but you have to submit proof of attendance of the two year full time education. Please check ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS to determine which countries are exempt from submitting an English language assessment.  If you have completed your education from a country that is NOT on the list then you will have to submit either TOEFL or IELTS or MELA, even if you have completed your education in English.

How do I apply to Full-Time programs as an International Student?

You should apply through Keep in mind that the application deadline is February 1st.

Can I apply directly to Michener?

No, please direct your application directly through

How long do I need to wait to get the decision from your institute after sending my application?

Please view the critical timelines below

February 1st Application Deadline
February – April Completed application files are evaluated. All communication with students will be made by email during this period in order to expidite requests for additional information.
April Top ranked candidates will receive information regarding their program of choice and will be required to sign and return to Michener a Statement of Intent. This will indicate the candidates interest to continue with the admissions process
April – May Top ranked candidates will receive an invitation to Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)week at Michener.
May First round of admission offers will be mailed out .


Do you have an application deadline?

Yes. For full-time Fall intake programs, the application deadline is February 1st . We recommend that you apply as soon as possible.

If you are appling to a Medical Radiation Sciences Program in joint with The University of Toronto (U of T), you will need to apply directly through OUAC. The application deadline is March 1st. For additional information please contact: Medical Radiation Sciences Program, 222 St. Patrick Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1V4 Telephone (416) 596-3117 or toll free 1-800-387-9066; Fax (416) 596-3122; E-mail

Do I need to pay an application fee?

Please check with for application fee information.

Where can I find program information?

Please visit the Michener Programs page


Do I have to pay my fees before I can register?

Yes. If you have received a letter of offer from us you must make payment before classes start. Please refer to your invoice for details and payment options.

What is your refund policy?

For those international students enrolled in a fulltime on-site program, that are unsuccessful in obtaining a study permit, the full amount of tuition paid to date will be refunded minus a $100 CAD fee to cover bank transfer surcharges. International students who officially withdraw within ten business days from the beginning of a semester are entitled to receive a 50% refund of the semester fees and a refund in full of tuition fees paid in advance for subsequent semesters. Students who officially withdraw after ten business days (from the beginning of a semester) receive no refund for that semester but are entitled to a full refund of any fees paid in advance for subsequent semesters.


Do you provide student housing or a dormitory?

Yes. First-year students can apply to stay in Schatz Hall, a five-storey residence which is a wing of Michener’s main building. For more information please visit the Residence page.

Tuition, Fees and Payment

Are the tuiton fees the same for Professional and Advanced Diploma Programs?

No. Tuition fees vary for each Program. Please visit the International Tuition Fees web page for more information.

Do I have to pay a full year’s tuition fee all at once?

No. Full-time program tuition fees can be paid by semester, subject to a $75 surcharge.

What if my status changes during the application process? Do I still have to pay International Fees?

International Applicants are required to pay International tuition fees. If a student’s status changes from International to Domestic during the application process, and if the student is granted a seat in the program, the student will be required to pay International Fees for 1 academic year.

When should I pay my tuition fee?

Please refer to your invoice for this information.

How should I pay my tuition fee?

You can pay by wire transfer, credit card, bank draft or by debit in person. Personal cheques are not accepted.

What is the cost of living in Toronto?

Depending on your lifestyle, you would usually expect to spend up to $10,800-13,000 CAD per year in addition to your academic costs.


Do you have scholarships?

Yes. For details please visit the Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards page

Employment/Work Permits

Can International students work on campus?

Yes, if you are registered and attending, a full-time program and have a valid study permit.

Can International students work off campus?

Yes. you can work under the following programs:

  • Work placement (non-paid)
  • Coop education
  • Off campus Work Program (OCWP)
  • Post-graduate Employment

What is the Off Campus Work Program (OCWP)? How can I apply for it?

Students who have a valid study permit and have been registered and attending a full-time program for 6 months can apply to CIC for an Off-campus Work Permit. To apply- you can either go to MyCIC or go online to for further information.

Health Insurance

Do you provide health insurance for international students?

Yes. All international students enrolled in a full-time program are provided with health insurance. The fee is included under themandatory non-tuition fees. For more information on what Mandatory non-tuition fees include visit the International Tuition Fees web page.

Study Permit

The Michener Institute issues two letters to students for submission to the Canadian Embassy/Consulate/ High Commission.

1) Offer letter: Initial offer of admission. This letter is proof of obtaining a seat in the program. The letter must be signed and mailed back to confirm acceptance of the offer.

2) Study Permit letter: includes student name, student ID number, program name, program start date and expected completion date.

For more information, click here

What is The Michener Institute’s designated learning number (DLI #)?

The DLI# is a number assigned by CIC to a designated learning institute. This number is required on an application for a study permit. The Michener Institute’s DLI# is: 019395677373.

Where can I obtain the application kit?

Refer to your local CIC. Some countries have distinct or additional requirements.

1. Canada Immigration

2. Study in Canada


Contact Us:
Phone: 416-596-3101 ext. 3147 or 3178
Fax: 416-596-1207