International Student Admission Procedure & Requirements
An international applicant is an applicant who does not hold permanent resident, Canadian Citizen, or landed immigrant status in Canada.
Medical Radiation Sciences (MRS Programs)
International students applying to Medical Radiation Sciences (MRS Programs) joint programs with the University of Toronto must submit an online application from the following application service:
- The Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) for joint programs with the University of Toronto
Please visit the University of Toronto website for information regarding admission requirements and supporting documentation. For more information about admissions requirements, please contact Medical Radiation Sciences at University of Toronto at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Applicants applying to Part-Time Programs:
Required to submit a hardcopy of the Part-Time Program Application Form and supporting documents directly to:The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
222 St. Patrick Street, 5th floor
Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1V4 Canada
Part-Time Program International applications should include the following:
- Completed Part-Time Program Application Form
- A non-refundable application fee of $95.00 CAD
- Credential Assessment
- English Language Assessment
The Michener Institute does not accept international transcripts or English translations of foreign documents, to support applications. A credential assessment is needed to verify your credentials. See below for more information.
All students must have the full academic equivalent of the individual program admission requirements.A credential assessment is used to verify that your credentials are valid and equal to a credential completed in Canada.Applicants with a foreign diploma, degree, certificate (or other proof of credential) applying to any of Michener’s full-time or part-time programs must have their transcripts evaluated to Canadian standards by a Course By Course or Comprehensive evaluation from an accepted credential assessment service. A document-to-document evaluation is not sufficient. If you do not submit this evaluation when you apply, your application is incomplete. If you are only submitting a Canadian educational credential, you do not need to do this.Michener does not have an credential assessment service, but accepts assessments from:
- International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS) (1-800-321-6021)
- World Education Services (WES) (416-972-0070 or 1-866-343-0070). Please note that WES does not evaluate High School transcripts.
- Other credential services may also be accepted. Please contact the Registrar’s Office before using any other Credential Assessment Service.
IF YOU ATTENDED A NOW CLOSED INSTITUTION AND AN ASSESSMENT CANNOT BE COMPLETED. If the school(s) you attended is no longer in existence, or if it is impossible to obtain official documents from any school(s), you should ask the Ministry of Education in the country in which the credential was awarded to furnish an official statement testifying to the impossibility of obtaining records. The Ministry should also be requested to supply The Michener Institute with a list of courses taken and grades received by the applicant in that school or university
Applicants for Whom English is a Second Language
Since all lectures, seminars, and clinical laboratory sessions are conducted in English, an adequate knowledge of written and spoken English is essential for student success.This requirement of proficiency in English may be satisfied by passing ONE of the English language assessments listed below. Only tests taken in the last two years are considered valid.
- The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) measures English Language proficiency in four skill areas: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. The MELA test scores are reported using the Canadian Language Benchmarks which are a Canadian national standard of English Language proficiency. A minimum score of 8 on all components is required to be considered for admission to Michener programs. Visit the MELA Registration page or The Mela website for further information.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The scoring for IELTS is an overall score of 6.5 with all components (bands) of the test being at a 6 or above. ‘Academic’ test format is required.
Information is available from:
IELTS Office, University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate
One Hills Road, Cambridge CB1 2EU, UK
telephone: (1223) 553311
fax: (1223) 460278
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Test of Written English (TWE). The scores required for TOEFL are a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (iBT) with a minimum of 22 on the Writing Section or 250 (computer) or 600 (written) and TWE of 5.0. Unless applicants have written a TWE along with the paper-based TOEFL test, they will be required to write that portion of the assessment. Applicants can also get information from:
TOEFL website, e-mail: email@example.com, phone: (609) 771-7100, and fax: (609) 771-7500.
The closest testing centre to Michener is located at Bloor and Islington, phone: (416) 236-2629. The Michener Institute’s testing centre code is 0323.
If you are applying to one of the Medical Radiation Science programs (Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy and Radiological Technology), the following tests and scores are acceptable proof of English facility:
(a) Internet-based test, minimum requirement is a total score of 100 + 22 on Writing section
(b) Computer-based test, minimum requirement is a total score of 250 + 5.0 on Essay
(c) Paper-based test, minimum requirement is a total score of 600 + 5.0 on TWE
- IELTS Minimum requirement is an overall band of 6.5 with no band below 6.0
Minimum requirement is an overall score of 86, with 32 in Writing, and 22 in Reading and Listening sections
You must submit your results to the University of Toronto.